Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Christian question

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies
So I went to church yesterday and heard some testimonials about people finding god and before finding god they lived for the weekend to go out and party and drink. Now I wasn't brought up in a religious household but went because a buddy of mine invited me because she plays in the band. My question is why is that a problem? It wasn't like they said they were drug addicts or alcoholics. Why is it when people are in the church they think they can't have an occasional drink or go to a party if they find its fun. As long as you have a great heart it shouldn't be a problem right? That's the reason I couldn't go full in being all religious because it's a lot of stuff where I'm like "what does that have to do with anything". Your suppose to be this sinless human being walking around and that's impossible. Didn't he die for our sins. I'm not saying to walk around and sin on purpose but things happen. Even gluttony is a sin but I can bet most of us have been known to over eat
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 9, 2014 at 10:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
myshoes
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 10:11 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm catholic and everything we do is celebrated with alcohol. Not sure where you went to church.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 9, 2014 at 10:15 PM
it's because those people you heard have turned to Christianity to save them from themselves not actual sinning.
EllieJelly80
by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 10:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm a Christian, and I go out once in awhile for fun and drinks. I was an alcoholic before I was "Saved", so maybe that is what they were referring to? Not sure, but we have wine with dinner every night, and we have lots of fun as Christians. Our church does not judge against those who have an occasional drink or occasionally party. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 11, 2014 at 6:55 AM
I'm going to assume they were Baptist

Quoting myshoes: I'm catholic and everything we do is celebrated with alcohol. Not sure where you went to church.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 11, 2014 at 6:57 AM
But this guy was talking about drinking once a week which doesn't sound bad even though I only drink once every 3 or 4 months. But it sounded like going to church cut off a lot of things

Quoting EllieJelly80:

I'm a Christian, and I go out once in awhile for fun and drinks. I was an alcoholic before I was "Saved", so maybe that is what they were referring to? Not sure, but we have wine with dinner every night, and we have lots of fun as Christians. Our church does not judge against those who have an occasional drink or occasionally party. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 11, 2014 at 7:03 AM

Depends on the denomination. Some are uptight like that.

EllieJelly80
by on Mar. 11, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Well, drinking once a week is not bad, and is not looked down upon by my church. I think drinking becomes a problem when you become addicted and you can't function normally because of the alcohol. Anything can become an idol in our lives and as Christians, we believe that God should come first. So, if alcohol is ruling your life, that is when it becomes a problem. There is nothing wrong with being a Christian and having a good time. Hope this makes sense.

Quoting Anonymous: But this guy was talking about drinking once a week which doesn't sound bad even though I only drink once every 3 or 4 months. But it sounded like going to church cut off a lot of things
Quoting EllieJelly80:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 11, 2014 at 11:43 AM
Yes it does make sense, thanks

Quoting EllieJelly80:

Well, drinking once a week is not bad, and is not looked down upon by my church. I think drinking becomes a problem when you become addicted and you can't function normally because of the alcohol. Anything can become an idol in our lives and as Christians, we believe that God should come first. So, if alcohol is ruling your life, that is when it becomes a problem. There is nothing wrong with being a Christian and having a good time. Hope this makes sense.

Quoting Anonymous: But this guy was talking about drinking once a week which doesn't sound bad even though I only drink once every 3 or 4 months. But it sounded like going to church cut off a lot of things

Quoting EllieJelly80:

Cbreland07
by Ruby Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 11:43 AM
"Lived for the weekend" implies more than the occasional drink or party. I don't think going out every once in a problem. But when that's all you do it is a problem. You can't really be a witness when you're in the thick of it with everyone else.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN