Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

EDIT. vent. I'm tired of nonparents being pissy in the workplace

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
EDIT: to clarify, so I don't have to keep reposting this: I don't ask for preferential treatment. All I ask is that she not be a hypocritical bitch. This is ONE day that I am coming in late in order to work late, and will still work a FULL day. She regularly takes long lunches, leaves early, or comes in late and I have never once been bitchy to her about it.

OP:

Thanks in advance if you read this vent.

I have a coworker who has chosen not to have children, and she is an absolute asshole about child-related things. I'm so tired of her dirty looks and comments when I go to pump. She's also pissed that I am not working Fridays for the year (I just had a baby last year).

Tonight I texted her and told her I was coming in late tomorrow since we have to stay for an event until 9. She texted back
"Well, here's the thing. Jessica and I are working full days tomorrow AND staying late. I think you should use vacation time."

Grrr. I wouldn't actually care that much about vacation time, I just can't stand her attitude.

What would you do?

ETA: I am not taking "extra time off" for kids. We get paid for a 40 hour workweek, although I currently am getting paid for a 32 hour week as I have Fridays off. I should add that last year when she was teaching a course in the evenings, she regularly came in late.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 9, 2014 at 11:20 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 9, 2014 at 11:26 PM
I don't get extra time off. We work 8 hour days. They are choosing not to get compensated for those hours.

I should add, she regularly takes two hour lunches. I rarely take lunch.

Quoting Anonymous: Hmm, how is it fair that you get extra time off just because you have children? I would honestly be annoyed too if I had different expectations put on me than on someone else simply because I chose not to have children.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 9, 2014 at 11:27 PM
Yes, mandatory.

Quoting Anonymous: Is the event you have to stay for work related?
1TallMamaCA
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 11:27 PM
I don't get why an event till nine tonight affects your ability to go to work on time.

Parents should get special treatment and rules just because they make the choice to have children.

momoftwogirl55
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 11:27 PM
1 mom liked this
I get the pumping this, I hate the dirty looks too.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 9, 2014 at 11:27 PM
Right!

Quoting ConnorsMommy21:

That doesn't make sense. If you use a vacation day you wouldn't go in at all...

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 9, 2014 at 11:28 PM
The event is tomorrow night.

Quoting 1TallMamaCA: I don't get why an event till nine tonight affects your ability to go to work on time.

Parents should get special treatment and rules just because they make the choice to have children.

LyTe684
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 11:28 PM
But do you report to her? If not, don't contact her. That's what I'm getting at.

Quoting Anonymous: We have a strange relationship. We are considered peers, except our asshole boss recently put her in charge of "office details."

She has had a lot of jealousy in general towards me, as I essentially took all the good parts of her job when I was hired (not my fault), and she became more and more of a secretary. Now she is getting a bit more responsibility and is on a bizarre power trip. I've never seen anyone act like her.

Quoting LyTe684: Is she your superior?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Mar. 9, 2014 at 11:28 PM
1 mom liked this
I highly doubt she jealous of you.

Quoting Anonymous: We have a strange relationship. We are considered peers, except our asshole boss recently put her in charge of "office details."

She has had a lot of jealousy in general towards me, as I essentially took all the good parts of her job when I was hired (not my fault), and she became more and more of a secretary. Now she is getting a bit more responsibility and is on a bizarre power trip. I've never seen anyone act like her.

Quoting LyTe684: Is she your superior?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Mar. 9, 2014 at 11:28 PM
Follow the rules some people with kids take advantage I know we have one at my office. It's annoying as hell
CountryStrong84
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 11:29 PM

If your boss doesnt have a problem with your work schedule then I wouldnt worry about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)