Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

EDIT. vent. I'm tired of nonparents being pissy in the workplace

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
EDIT: to clarify, so I don't have to keep reposting this: I don't ask for preferential treatment. All I ask is that she not be a hypocritical bitch. This is ONE day that I am coming in late in order to work late, and will still work a FULL day. She regularly takes long lunches, leaves early, or comes in late and I have never once been bitchy to her about it.

OP:

Thanks in advance if you read this vent.

I have a coworker who has chosen not to have children, and she is an absolute asshole about child-related things. I'm so tired of her dirty looks and comments when I go to pump. She's also pissed that I am not working Fridays for the year (I just had a baby last year).

Tonight I texted her and told her I was coming in late tomorrow since we have to stay for an event until 9. She texted back
"Well, here's the thing. Jessica and I are working full days tomorrow AND staying late. I think you should use vacation time."

Grrr. I wouldn't actually care that much about vacation time, I just can't stand her attitude.

What would you do?

ETA: I am not taking "extra time off" for kids. We get paid for a 40 hour workweek, although I currently am getting paid for a 32 hour week as I have Fridays off. I should add that last year when she was teaching a course in the evenings, she regularly came in late.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 9, 2014 at 11:20 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 9, 2014 at 11:34 PM
You can't break vacation days up? That sucks.

Quoting Anonymous: Right!

Quoting ConnorsMommy21:

That doesn't make sense. If you use a vacation day you wouldn't go in at all...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 9, 2014 at 11:34 PM
Sorry--to clarify, it is a mandatory work event. It's tomorrow night, so going in at the usual time would put me away from the baby for 12 hours. In past years when I have not had a nursing baby at home I have gone in at the usual time.

Quoting Anonymous:

The pumping thing is totally uncalled for. Letting her know you are going to be late is just a courtsey, same as calling if you're stuck in traffic or you have a flat tire. I don't see why being up that late will interfer with you being to work on time, but if the event is a "Finally we are having a date after baby!!" thing with you and dh then maybe you should of asked for the next day off instead of calling in saying you will be late. But either way, I don't like people who specifically attack parents for being responsible for another life. There is such a thing as workplace flexibility and she needs to learn it. 

Bethsunshine
by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 11:34 PM
3 moms liked this
You're expecting special treatment because you possess a uterus and have spawned a child and you're complaining about her?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 9, 2014 at 11:35 PM
No, I can. I wouldn't actually mind doing so, I just mind on principle, particularly since she is pissy about it.

Quoting Anonymous: You can't break vacation days up? That sucks.

Quoting Anonymous: Right!

Quoting ConnorsMommy21:

That doesn't make sense. If you use a vacation day you wouldn't go in at all...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Mar. 9, 2014 at 11:35 PM
4 moms liked this

I can understand not liking her attitude, but as a working mom myself, I make it a point to be at work when I'm scheduled and be on time and not expect to be treated any different just because I have kids. It sucks, I'm sure, but you have a responsibility as an employee. 

FelineTopic
by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 11:35 PM
3 moms liked this
Yeah...

I hated working with women like you. They have a child and suddenly they feel they can work whatever hours they want. Women like that need to be SAHM.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 9, 2014 at 11:35 PM
How is it special treatment?

Quoting Bethsunshine: You're expecting special treatment because you possess a uterus and have spawned a child and you're complaining about her?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Mar. 9, 2014 at 11:36 PM

If you're getting paid for less hours, I don't think she should have any issues with it. If you're getting paid for a full time job the. Yes you should work full time. As far as the pumping, I would get annoyed to a degree. I mean you're talking probably 30 minutes each time by the time you get the pump out, actually pump, store, etc. So if you're pumping every couple of hours that's a lot.  I don't know what to say, other than talk to her and work it out. 

Bethsunshine
by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 11:36 PM
You really don't see it?

Quoting Anonymous: How is it special treatment?

Quoting Bethsunshine: You're expecting special treatment because you possess a uterus and have spawned a child and you're complaining about her?
crumpy_gat
by No. on Mar. 9, 2014 at 11:36 PM
I understand where you're coming from
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN