Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do/did your kids have a tutor?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies

I'm thinking about getting a tutor for my daughter. I would like to hear your experiences with hiring a tutor for your kids. How many times a week/ how long did your kids see the tutor? Did you feel like the tutor really helped your kids improve academically?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 9, 2014 at 11:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
_mimimosley_
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 11:33 PM
My son has one for English 3 times a week through his school. His grade improved from the last 9 weeks.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 9, 2014 at 11:36 PM

How long are the tutor sessions? Do you have the tutor come to your house, the library, son's school? Do you tell the tutor what to teach during the lessons or does the tutor already know the material?

If we get dd a tutor it wont be through her school so I'm trying to figure out where/when/and how long the sessions should be. I'm also not sure if I should look into hiring an actual teacher or teaching student or if my nice neighbor would work out.

How much are the sessions, if you don't mind me asking?

Quoting _mimimosley_: My son has one for English 3 times a week through his school. His grade improved from the last 9 weeks.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 9, 2014 at 11:37 PM
I had one because I thought I would have problems with trigonometry. I got it less than 5 minutes. Lol

My mom paid in advance for the week. So I went and hung out with the dude (my neighbor) for that time. Lol
_mimimosley_
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 11:41 PM
Hour & thirty minutes long after school and at his school, three days a week.
She is a teacher and had her own material.
The school never asked for any payment.

Quoting Anonymous:

How long are the tutor sessions? Do you have the tutor come to your house, the library, son's school? Do you tell the tutor what to teach during the lessons or does the tutor already know the material?

If we get dd a tutor it wont be through her school so I'm trying to figure out where/when/and how long the sessions should be. I'm also not sure if I should look into hiring an actual teacher or teaching student or if my nice neighbor would work out.

Quoting _mimimosley_: My son has one for English 3 times a week through his school. His grade improved from the last 9 weeks.

lenashark
by Ruby Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 12:05 AM

My six year old has a Latin tutor come once a week to teach him. It's not exactly the same as an academic tutor coming to help with school, but I can say that it has been very beneficial, he is great with kids and has helped my son love to learn the language. The one on one personalized instruction is great.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 10, 2014 at 12:25 AM

Thank you, that is helpful.

Quoting _mimimosley_: Hour & thirty minutes long after school and at his school, three days a week. She is a teacher and had her own material. The school never asked for any payment.
Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)