Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Military death benefits..help

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 29 Replies
My ex dh was military. He had been out for a few years, did not retire. He died in January. Ppl have been telling me my son can get benefits from the military. Some say he can, some say he can't. Who do I contact I've been googling it all day. He got an honorable discharge btw.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 10, 2014 at 12:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SitaStJames
by *Sita* on Mar. 10, 2014 at 12:25 AM

I'm not sure but here's a bump

thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Mar. 10, 2014 at 12:25 AM
I wouldn't know. I thought you only got death benefits via the military if you died active duty.

Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 10, 2014 at 12:25 AM
Not sure bump
Tooth_Inspector
by Platinum Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 12:26 AM
Your son can't. The death benefits expire so many months after they separate (I can't remember exactly). My ex was in the marines and committed suicide a few months after the expiration of the death benefits. My girls got nothing but that's fine, I didn't expect it.
besosfantasies
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 12:26 AM

Uhmm.. bump for you. The only type of benefit I know of is when he is killed in the line of duty, then you or him would have to be beneficiary. Maybe there is something else?

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Mar. 10, 2014 at 12:26 AM

This is what I think also.

Quoting thefiregoddess: I wouldn't know. I thought you only got death benefits via the military if you died active duty. Bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 10, 2014 at 12:28 AM
Nope.

He didn't retire.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 10, 2014 at 12:28 AM
What about his gi bill?

Quoting Tooth_Inspector: Your son can't. The death benefits expire so many months after they separate (I can't remember exactly). My ex was in the marines and committed suicide a few months after the expiration of the death benefits. My girls got nothing but that's fine, I didn't expect it.
thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Mar. 10, 2014 at 12:28 AM
Maybe you're thinking social security death benefits from his income from being in the military?
MomTo2SillyBoys
by Bronze Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 12:28 AM
My DH said to contact the VA.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)