Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is This Tacky? Would You Do It? NEED Your Advice!

Posted by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 10:14 AM
  • 225 Replies

Poll

Question: Would You Ask MIL For Swim Lessons, or Is It Tacky-NO?

Options:

Ask away- that sounds awesome!

No way! It's super tacky!

Other- please explain below.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 1000

View Results

Every holiday, MIL asks me to send her links to what the kids would like.

Well, this year for DSD's birthday, I would like to have MIL pay for swim lessons- it's $40 for 5 lessons, and that's about how much she spends on the kids, anyway.

And DSD would LOVE to know how to swim- she's turning 8 and doesn't even know how to doggy paddle, but she LOVES the water.

So, would you ask MIL for the $$ so you could sign DSD up for the classes, or send her a WalMart link to some toy you know DSD would like and have broken withing two months?

Thanks is advance!

ETA: I'M FEATURED! For the first time in the five years that I've been on CM, my post is featured on the homepage!

Wow! I feel so special!

by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 10:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 10:15 AM
8 moms liked this

I think that is great

We asked my parents for a family zoo membership for christmas

B1Bomber
by Platinum Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 10:16 AM
9 moms liked this
It's only tacky to ask for specific gifts if people don't ask what you want. I would definitely let her know that swim lessons are at the to of the wish list. She might even be able to pay online and make a gift certificate or something for your daughter to open.
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Mar. 10, 2014 at 10:17 AM

No I wouldn't ask for that. Do you not have the $40?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 10, 2014 at 10:20 AM
4 moms liked this
I would give her the website to the facility offering the lessons and let her know what she wants.
seemommyrun
by Sue daNim on Mar. 10, 2014 at 10:20 AM
12 moms liked this

If it were me, I would be thrilled to have the parent give me a gift idea that the child would truly enjoy.  She can print out a faux certificate describing the lessons and frame or wrap it so your daughter will have something to unwrap. 

MommyChance
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 10:22 AM
1 mom liked this
I think that'd be awesome. Your MIL can make a cool card or get her some swimming apparel and a ticket for swim lesson if she wants to actually hand her something.
TresHijas111825
by Bronze Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this
She is family. I think it'd be different if it weren't. Ask away!
Sandiekd21
by Platinum Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Actually, both of our girls are July babies and we're moving across country this July- so money is going to be really tight- we're thinking a cake and about $20 for a present each.
They are both early July, and our move date is the first- the swim lessons would be in our new hometown, so it would also let DSD meet some kids so the summer wouldn't be so completely lonely for her.

And, can I respectfully ask why you wouldn't do ask? Knowing that MIL asks for links every holiday/birthday, and this is something that DSD would use, literally, for the rest of her life?
I'm not bahing, so please don't think that. I'm sincerely curious as to why you wouldn't.

Thank you.

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 10, 2014 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this

How come you can't teach them how to swim?

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Mar. 10, 2014 at 10:27 AM

I don't know, I have never asked my parents/inlaws for money towards activites. No particular reason. If you are moving in July when are the lessons?

Quoting Sandiekd21:

Actually, both of our girls are July babies and we're moving across country this July- so money is going to be really tight- we're thinking a cake and about $20 for a present each.They are both early July, and our move date is the first- the swim lessons would be in our new hometown, so it would also let DSD meet some kids so the summer wouldn't be so completely lonely for her.

And, can I respectfully ask why you wouldn't do ask? Knowing that MIL asks for links every holiday/birthday, and this is something that DSD would use, literally, for the rest of her life?I'm not bahing, so please don't think that. I'm sincerely curious as to why you wouldn't.

Thank you.

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)