Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Can you really consider yourself a mother?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 41 Replies
If you adopted out your child more than 5 years ago?
I mean, you can say you gave birth and a child has your DNA. But mothering is a action isn't it?
Just like the difference between a spern donor and a father.
I know adoption is a selfless thing todo not trying to be to be mean to anyone but I have always been curious about this!
Please don't bash me I am strictly curious.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 10, 2014 at 10:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nickie76
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 10:34 AM
If you carry a child you ARE a mother in your heart. Especially in the case of adoption.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 10, 2014 at 10:35 AM
Oh, you are going to get bashed lol.
SaratheN
by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 10:36 AM
I'm a mother and a birth mother.
jjames1990
by Platinum Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this
I dont think they can be called a mother. Special, selfless, and caring. But yes, I believe to be a mother you have to actually raise a child.
Maks1mommy
by Ruby Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 10:37 AM

I don't know, I've never given a child up for adoption, so I can't say how I would feel about it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 10, 2014 at 10:37 AM
I'm just saying you get to resume life as it was before said child was born, so really should they be called the child's mother when they did not raise the child?
TableforSeven
by Platinum Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree.  A woman who has given birth has a child....but if she gave the child up for adoption and has no part in the parenting of that child - she is not a "mother".  Of course, if she has children later....and raises them...she is a mother -- but still never to the child she gave up for adoption.

I was given up for adoption at birth.  The woman who raised me from a few days old until she passed away in 2008 is my mother and always will be.  I have the greatest respect for the woman who carried me for 9 months then handed me over to someone able and willing to raise me....but she was not ever, and never will be, my "mother".  

ForeverLawst
by Bronze Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 10:38 AM

Anyone who births or adopts or just takes on the role is a mother. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 10, 2014 at 10:39 AM
What about a woman who aborts? Is she considered a "mother" i really wonder about this too
Lordgodempress
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 10:39 AM

I do not believe they are mothers.  I think you actually have to mother someone to be a mother.   I think they are very strong and selfless people but not mothers.  The person that adopted the baby is that babies mother.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)