Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Advice Please!!

Posted by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 11:06 AM
  • 8 Replies

My daughter's school offers "Preppy Kindergarten", which is a program for kids that are within the age cut-off date for kindergarten, but not quite ready for real school yet (they have to be assessed to qualify).  Its not pre-k or transitional kindergarten, which are also offered at the school, but just a class that is like kindergarten, but not as intense.  I don't want to put my youngest in there because it would mean that she would start actual kindergarten at 6.  But part of me thinks she may not be fully ready (emotionally) yet. 

Would you have your child assessed and pretty much held back a year, or just have him/her go into regular kindergarten?

shrugging

by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 11:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Bibi86
by Bronze Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 11:07 AM
Why do you think she is not ready?
Mommyscookie
by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 11:08 AM
Regular
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 10, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Why not put her in pre-k?

I wouldn't hold her back.

fraujones
by Mommytron on Mar. 10, 2014 at 11:13 AM

I don't think it's bad to start kindergarten at 6. 

art.diva
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Well, she is ready in all the academic ways (knows her alphabet and letter sounds, can count to 30, can use scissors, knows her shapes, etc), but she has become prone to tantrums and lashing out violently whenever she gets angry.  This behavior started after we moved, and while I hope it goes as quickly as it came, I'm concerned that the intensity of this kindergarten program might be too much for her.  We have to sign up to get them assessed sometime soon, but I'm really hesitating.

Quoting Bibi86: Why do you think she is not ready?

Schmoopi
by QueenOfAllThings on Mar. 10, 2014 at 11:18 AM

That was a HUGE decision for me to make. My daughter's birthday is September 26th, right on the cut off line here. I felt she was ready to start kindergarten at almost 5. The big trend is to start them later rather than earlier. So I sent her to Montessori school so SHE could determine (through learning) where she would wind up being the next year. 

Is Montessori an option for you? 

art.diva
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 11:22 AM

No, not really.  But like I said, they offer a program that would have her in school, but it wouldn't be actual graded classes.  This school is very intense; they don't even have toys in the kindergarten classrooms.

Quoting Schmoopi:

That was a HUGE decision for me to make. My daughter's birthday is September 26th, right on the cut off line here. I felt she was ready to start kindergarten at almost 5. The big trend is to start them later rather than earlier. So I sent her to Montessori school so SHE could determine (through learning) where she would wind up being the next year. 

Is Montessori an option for you? 

momof4554
by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Is starting her in regular kindergarten and moving her to the other one if she isn't doing well an option?  I had to decide whether to start my youngest this year or not also.  He turned 5 Aug 18.  So he is just about the youngest in his class.  He had started being extremely whiny and while he wasn't pitching tantrums he wasn't acting very well either.  He has done great in Kindergarten.  Never has even gotten his behavior card moved, except once when we forgot to send his show and tell item one Friday.  He is actually acting better at home also.  He has done great academically also.  I actually wonder if he was getting bored at home and getting to go to kindergarten has actually helped.

Of course you could have her assessed and see what they say and them make your decision. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)