Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

They told my son his parents will burn in hell someday..

Posted by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 12:36 PM
  • 693 Replies
6 moms liked this

So I've mentioned a time or two how my son is religious when we, his parents, are not. It started off with praying at 3, carried until 6. I tried to teach him as much as I could about God and religion all with an open mind.

But I simply couldn't answer all his questions without imposing some of my views. So I looked around at churches and my son and I went to a couple..

The one we liked the most seemed like a good fit. I talked to the pastor and explained to him that altho I do not really believe in organized religion and the bible my son has an interest and I want to allow him to pursue it..

He seemed on the same page and actually excited to have my son join in on Sunday school classes that he taught personally. So my son has been going for 4 months now and up until this last Sunday really enjoyed the lessons.

So imagine my disgust and shock when my son finally told me whats been bothering him since Sunday..

He told me this morning on the way to school that that pastor told my son that my husband and I will burn for eternity in hell because we don't believe in Jesus Christ as our savior or something like that.

My son told me that that's not how he feels about God and religion and he doesn't want to go back to church anymore.

I'M SO MAD,

That man stole something innocent and beautiful from my son. :( I don't even know how to go about fixing it because I personally don't believe in it..

any suggestions Christians moms?

Photo: -Randi.

by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 12:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AuntieM
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 12:41 PM
71 moms liked this
That's just stupid. You said you don't believe in organized religion or the bible. You didn't say you don't believe in some kind of higher power. And even if you told him you are a non believer, he should never tell your kid that. It's crap like that that makes me dislike organized religion.
fraujones
by Mommytron on Mar. 10, 2014 at 12:43 PM
8 moms liked this

Omg, who tells a child something like that?! 

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Mar. 10, 2014 at 12:44 PM
3 moms liked this

I know! If he had an issue with it then why not be an adult and say it to my face. Why try to scare a little kid... I do believe in a God. I'm just not christian or affiliated with any organized religion.

Quoting AuntieM: That's just stupid. You said you don't believe in organized religion or the bible. You didn't say you don't believe in some kind of higher power. And even if you told him you are a non believer, he should never tell your kid that. It's crap like that that makes me dislike organized religion.

Photo: -Randi.

NatesMyBoy
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 12:46 PM
5 moms liked this

I have no idea.  I am not religious anymore... but I grew up going to church through high school.  They may not have said it like that... but the fact of the matter is: if you don't accept Jesus Christ you don't go to heaven.  It's a common theme and I do not think you can get away from it.  I don't know about other churches... like the Unitarians.  Good luck.  That kind of message can be devastating to a child.  

20Keller12
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 12:47 PM
70 moms liked this
That's a tough one, because as a Christian (and I truly hate to say this) if he really wants to grow up Christian and believing in God, he will have to accept the fact that those who don't believe in God or Jesus's sacrafice won't go to Heaven. I would confront the pastor though, it was wrong of him to say it so harshly. I know there are bible verses all over that say those who do not believe will not inherit the kingdom of Heaven, the pastor should have just stuck with that. SMDH
Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 12:47 PM
24 moms liked this

What denomination is this? I mean, I have an idea, because it sounds pretty textbook for certain sects, but humor me.  My suggestion is to find a nice Methodist church. We are kind of the hippies of the Christian faith. And shit like this would be seriously handled, because that is not cool.

iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 12:47 PM
7 moms liked this
I'm not a church goer either, but I would be speaking with this pastor.

You let your child attend his church and told him your position. Instead of nurturing him, he has shattered his outlook. I cannot imagine why he would need to tell a young child this!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 10, 2014 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Poor kid maybe try to find him a diff place to go to no one should have said this to him I let my kids go to church stuff they have come by they know we do not go but let my kids they never would have said this if they did I think i would raise Hell smh to tell a kid that.

AuntieM
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 12:49 PM
4 moms liked this
And that's how you explain it to your son. I had to have that conversation with my son when he was about 6 and started going to church with his friends. I told him I believed I didn't have to go to a church for God to hear me. I told him I didn't like church but I was very happy he did and he could go any time he wanted with his friends.

Quoting brettsmomma:

I know! If he had an issue with it then why not be an adult and say it to my face. Why try to scare a little kid... I do believe in a God. I'm just not christian or affiliated with any organized religion.

Quoting AuntieM: That's just stupid. You said you don't believe in organized religion or the bible. You didn't say you don't believe in some kind of higher power. And even if you told him you are a non believer, he should never tell your kid that. It's crap like that that makes me dislike organized religion.

Princesmermaid1
by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 12:49 PM
13 moms liked this
Find a new church explain to your son not all churches are that way and help him find a better fit
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)