Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Let's talk about Sweet 16 parties!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 137 Replies

Tell me about your Sweet 16. 

Have you had a daughter turn 16 yet?

What did you do?

How much is too much for Sweet 16?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 10, 2014 at 9:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 10, 2014 at 9:14 PM
2 moms liked this

We celebrated it like any other birthday in my family.  I got to pick what was for dinner and we had cake and ice cream.  I don't know anyone in real life that had a "sweet 16" party.

maureen813
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 9:43 PM
My daughter turns sweet 16 in July, nothing planned so far but she is talking about a shopping spree with four of her friends, dinner in Boston and a sleepover, she went to one last weekend and the parents rented a limo, took a group of six to see the play, Wicked and paid fir dinner, it must have cost a fifteen hundred dollars and I am being conservative. I turned 16 in 1977 and had cake and pizza with friends...and went to a three dollar movie , times sure have changed!
graciepaige
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 9:45 PM
My parents got me a limo for me and my friends, then we went to cici's, where we proceeded to have a cake fight. It was fun.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 10, 2014 at 11:56 PM
I worked. My grandfather visited the following Sunday for chicken dinner and cake.

We don't do birthday "parties" much
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 11, 2014 at 12:00 AM
1 mom liked this
parties aren't for the kids anymore, its all about the birthday kids parents showing off for the other parents.
LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 12:02 AM
My daughter turns 16 in November, all her friends are having big themed parties, but my daughter isn't really into big parties. Instead we are talking about doing a murder mystery cruise thing that's has been wanting to do. It's $70 per person so it will be kind of pricy but I want her to have fun.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 11, 2014 at 12:04 AM

Yeah no. I didn't even know there was a concept of throwing a huge party at 16 much less that it was supposed to a mini wedding party huge and outrageous. No one I knew had one either. 

Thankfully don't have a daughter and if I did she wouldn't get more than a standard party. (which I usually spend around 300-400 per party at the moment but my kid is still young.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Mar. 11, 2014 at 12:04 AM
No way in hell. My dd will forever be 5 lol actually she is almost 6 so I guess I better start planning. I don't really remember my 16th birthday, I was a bit too drunk with my too old friends :/
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 11, 2014 at 7:14 AM

Wouldn't the parents of the other kids have to be invited for this to be the case?

Quoting Anonymous: parties aren't for the kids anymore, its all about the birthday kids parents showing off for the other parents.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 11, 2014 at 7:16 AM

As Sweet 16 parties go, 1500 dollars is cheap compared to what the big parties cost. 

Quoting maureen813: My daughter turns sweet 16 in July, nothing planned so far but she is talking about a shopping spree with four of her friends, dinner in Boston and a sleepover, she went to one last weekend and the parents rented a limo, took a group of six to see the play, Wicked and paid fir dinner, it must have cost a fifteen hundred dollars and I am being conservative. I turned 16 in 1977 and had cake and pizza with friends...and went to a three dollar movie , times sure have changed!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)