Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What is this teaching my niece? Using an Ipad as a babysitter, ALL the time. Everywhere they go.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 151 Replies
1 mom liked this

So my brother and SIL allows their 8 year old daughter to go out EVERYWHERE, I mean no matter where, with her holding her iPad in front of her. She walks around with it. She walks into restaurants with it, watching it, in front of her face. She done this at my grandmother's funeral too. I don't know how she doesn't walk into things.

We will be having a family dinner out and I literally won't know she's there, I'll look over and I see the glow of her face in the light of the ipad. I feel like they just want to not have to deal with her, and it's teaching her to be rude. My kids have an ipad and iphones. I do allow them to play games on their phones if we are experiencing a long wait.

So I guess I'm not asking for advice on what to do, it's not my child, this is more a rant.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 11, 2014 at 7:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 11, 2014 at 7:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I used to do this too, with my daughter when she was 3. I have since stopped it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 11, 2014 at 7:59 PM

my grandson take his just about everywhere. however for him he has learning appts on it.  it also helps withs adhd

Lynette
by on Mar. 11, 2014 at 7:59 PM
Sad
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 11, 2014 at 8:01 PM

It is sad, I want to say something, but I don't know how to approach it. She was hard to handle before because they never corrected or disciplined her.

Quoting Lynette: Sad

ilovemykids323
by Ruby Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 8:01 PM
2 moms liked this

sad. i dislike it when i go to things and people ignore everyone by being on there phones or whatever. to check a quick message or something fine but to spend the whole itme on your phone no.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 11, 2014 at 8:05 PM
This. My son has adhd. The blue light used in smart devices is very calming. I allow him to use it during long waits, like at the pediatricians office or long car rides.

As adults, we pay on our phones during long waits.

Quoting Anonymous:

my grandson take his just about everywhere. however for him he has learning appts on it.  it also helps withs adhd

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 11, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

I can understand how it can be beneficial, dose he walk with it in front of his face?  In my niece's case, they don't have to deal with her anymore, and they can just drink and socialize.

JamesMom714
by Platinum Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 8:07 PM
2 moms liked this
My son (3) has an iPad. He uses it a lot when we are out to eat, but your niece's use is extreme! Dang!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bieg9093
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 8:08 PM
10 moms liked this

It's extremely unhealthy for the brain. It trains the brain for passive learning...just sit there and accept whatever input it gives you at whatwever pace the machine decides. The brain doesn't learn how to actively learn...to seek out input, pace it's processing, direct it, organize it. And brains which are trained for passive learning resist active learning. Active learning is harder...it requires effort. The brain is going to prefer the path of least resistance.

Furthermore...brains that are already wired for short attention spans absolutely crave screen time...like addicts. The machines run at a short-attention-span pace that doesn't tax their brains at all. So essentially, allowing kids with ADHD or similar characteristics unreasonable amounts of screentime truly makes their problems worse.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 11, 2014 at 8:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you for explaining this. Can I copy this and send it to them? lol

Quoting Bieg9093:

It's extremely unhealthy for the brain. It trains the brain for passive learning...just sit there and accept whatever input it gives you at whatwever pace the machine decides. The brain doesn't learn how to actively learn...to seek out input, pace it's processing, direct it, organize it. And brains which are trained for passive learning resist active learning. Active learning is harder...it requires effort. The brain is going to prefer the path of least resistance.

Furthermore...brains that are already wired for short attention spans absolutely crave screen time...like addicts. The machines run at a short-attention-span pace that doesn't tax their brains at all. So essentially, allowing kids with ADHD or similar characteristics unreasonable amounts of screentime truly makes their problems worse.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN