Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I Need Potty Training A Boy Advice Please.

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:08 AM
  • 47 Replies
My son is 21 months old. I haven't started potty training him yet. I will soon if not by the time he is 2 in June. He is my 1st child so this is new to me and Dh. How do I go about potty training him? Toilet or personal potty? Undies or pull ups? How do I know when he is ready? Reward or no rewards? Advice? What worked for your kids?
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ColieO
by Emerald Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:09 AM
2 moms liked this
I left my son alone. He woke up one morning a few months after he turned 3 and went potty. Fully trained from then on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MarriedMyPrince
by Sarah on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:10 AM
You didn't even try to potty train him? He just woke up one day and went potty by himself. That's awesome!

Quoting ColieO: I left my son alone. He woke up one morning a few months after he turned 3 and went potty. Fully trained from then on.
MarriedMyPrince
by Sarah on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:12 AM
Bump
MarriedMyPrince
by Sarah on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:12 AM
Bump
hautemama83
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:13 AM
Is he interested at all? The average age for boys is three, so you may be hard pressed to make him before then.
ColieO
by Emerald Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:15 AM
We had a potty, he hated it, I was pregnant and not willing to fight. He'd been introduced and peed in it maybe twice before that within the year leading up to that point. But once he decided to go potty he never had an accident. Nighttime even.

Quoting MarriedMyPrince: You didn't even try to potty train him? He just woke up one day and went potty by himself. That's awesome!

Quoting ColieO: I left my son alone. He woke up one morning a few months after he turned 3 and went potty. Fully trained from then on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom-does-hair
by Gold Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:15 AM
My ds started at about that age, but we had our second around then, and he had a few set-backs. I got him a potty. Ended up getting another one because he didn't fit on the first one well. I taught him sitting down first. I don 'to recommend pull-ups except for night. He was pooping in the potty almost immediately, but the filling of the dispers(pull-ups) is so good now, he never felt wet or cared if he didn't make it. Pull-ups gone, I got old school training underwear with the plastic covers. He hated them! They were hot. It was summer. I told him 3 days, no accidents, plastic covers were gone. He did it. I also had a small baby food jar, and every time he used the potty, we went and put a penny in it. After it was full, he got to pick something fun to do. We went to this place that is kinda like chuck e cheese for smaller kids. He loved it. That was his reward.
blue-heart
by Ruby Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:16 AM
Pull ups for when you are out and about and for night time. Under wear for at the house. You could get a potty chair if you want. It is easier to teach them to sit and pee first. If he won't use the toilet let him pee on a tree outside. That helped my ds potty train. Let him pick out his under wear and make a big deal about how he is a big boy now. Rewards work pretty well. And remember NEVER punish for accidents and ALWAYS praise for successes.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:17 AM
My oldest was almost 4 when he was potty trained. My youngest was 2.5 ish I guess. We did a sticker chart with the youngest and he had a kids potty on the floor. We got him underwear and he just was happy to learn to be a big kid
My oldest had a lot of delays so it was expected his potty training would take a while but the days he happily put on underwear he didn't have any problems
Mom-does-hair
by Gold Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:18 AM
Oh, and by the time I would say he was completely potty trained, he was almost 3. My youngest was 3 and 3 months. Boys take a but longer. The oldest showed interest until his brother was born, then we waited a few months on doc recommendation.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)