Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

do you? did you? would you?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 40 Replies
Stay in a dangerous job while pregnant?

I work with violent mentally ill clients. Im currently pregnant and thinking of quiting.

They seem to be getting more and more violent.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:03 AM
If I could leave I would.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:06 AM

It's something I would have considered before getting pregnant.  I'm a planner, I would have thought about this and how to transition out and into something safer.  I'd feel beyond horrible if I continued working and something bad happened but at the same time we all need money to support ourselves and our existing family. 

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:07 AM

NO...NO....NO...NO....NO

mummyoftwins92
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:08 AM
Can you transfer to a safer part of the job like office work?

Quoting Anonymous: Stay in a dangerous job while pregnant?

I work with violent mentally ill clients. Im currently pregnant and thinking of quiting.

They seem to be getting more and more violent.
OklahomaWifey
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:15 AM
I work in a "high risk" job. DW and I are starting the process of getting pregnant (we finally decided on IVF and go next week to start "browsing" lol). I will continue to work, as I did with all my pregnancies. DW has expressed she wants me to stay home, but, I love my job, and don't want to quit.
I will think twice about breaking up an inmate fight, but I'm trained to protect myself if I must assist in the seperation of inmates. I would probably request to just bookin and process vs. working a floor, where most of the action is.
That's just me. Each person and situation is different. If you feel it's better for you and your family to quit, and you can afford it, go for it. If not, good luck and stay safe. :)
CalicoMeezer
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:23 AM
I worked in an animal shelter. I was mostly a desk worker (Adoption Counselor), but I did have tasks that involved interacting with animals, including "unknown" or "unsafe" animals. Luckily, my boss was AMAZING, and as soon as I found out I was pregnant (confirmed with doctor), I went to her and made her aware. We sat down and immediately came up with a plan, and adjusted it along the way as my needs changed.
Renilia
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:24 AM
If your worried about your health talk to your supervisor and ask if there is a position that is safer for you while your pregnant. They can not fire you for asking or for being pregnant it's against the law.
angelenia
by Gold Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:28 AM
I repaired furniture and worked with dangerous chemicals. Once my pregnancy was confirmed i asked for a respirator so i wasn't inhaling birth defect causing fumes. The got me a pack of dusting masks, like for sanding. In no way did that block the fumes so i ended up quitting for my baby's sake.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:29 AM
Are you working with mhhr type of people?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:51 AM
Severely mentally ill. The type that have seriously injured or killed someone at some point.

Quoting Anonymous: Are you working with mhhr type of people?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)