Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this tacky?!?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies
Is giving a gift card or cash at a bridal shower tacky?!

**she had like 10 things on her registry, all either already bought or online only and the shower is this weekend. Also, she lives in fl but the shower is in pa so I'm thinking maybe she doesn't want too many large items?!

My first bridal shower so I'm really clueless lol if it is tacky, what are some things I could get her?!

:)
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luckysevenwow
by Emerald Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:10 AM
No, especially if there is traveling involved.

Personally if I had a registry and all things were claimed a gift card or cash would be better, but I'm also pretty lax when it comes to stuff like that.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:10 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't think it's tacky.  Just get the giftcard from a store where her registry is at.  Try to make the giftcard for the amount of one of the gifts, kwim?  A $10 giftcard, while always appreciated, is going to look a little funny if the things left to buy are $20 or more.

MamaRae85
by *you're on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:10 AM

Nope. I'd skip cash, though. A Visa gift card would be better, imo.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:13 AM
Yup, if I do end up doing a gift card it would be at least $100. Kinda making up for the fact that I won't be able to attend her wedding, which I'm super bummed about but can't do anything about it!

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't think it's tacky.  Just get the giftcard from a store where her registry is at.  Try to make the giftcard for the amount of one of the gifts, kwim?  A $10 giftcard, while always appreciated, is going to look a little funny if the things left to buy are $20 or more.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:14 AM
Good point. I was thinking a gift card to bed bath and beyond or target...that's where she was registered.

Quoting MamaRae85:

Nope. I'd skip cash, though. A Visa gift card would be better, imo.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:15 AM

I think cash would be perfect. We always give cash and the couple is always appreciative!

mes_deux_amours
by Ruby Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:17 AM
I wouldn't give cash at a bridal shower. I assume they'll also be given something at the wedding, the wedding gift is where I'd give cash. I'd find something fun for the shower and not give a care about the registry.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:19 AM
Her wedding is in Virginia at the end of May and I'm due mid-May so I won't be able to attend ...I was thinking about just doing a larger amount for the shower to make up for missing the wedding.

Quoting mes_deux_amours: I wouldn't give cash at a bridal shower. I assume they'll also be given something at the wedding, the wedding gift is where I'd give cash. I'd find something fun for the shower and not give a care about the registry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:20 AM
I think a gift card would be welcomed. Just put it in a nice card.
mes_deux_amours
by Ruby Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:22 AM
You won't be sending a wedding gift closer to the date?

Maybe do part of your gift a gift to her (VS gift card or Fredericks of Hollywood ;) and then do a separate card for the wedding with your gift? Idk I don't think it's tacky to give a GC or cash though. Most people, especially after spending thousands upon thousands for a wedding really appreciate the extra money.

Quoting Anonymous: Her wedding is in Virginia at the end of May and I'm due mid-May so I won't be able to attend ...I was thinking about just doing a larger amount for the shower to make up for missing the wedding.

Quoting mes_deux_amours: I wouldn't give cash at a bridal shower. I assume they'll also be given something at the wedding, the wedding gift is where I'd give cash. I'd find something fun for the shower and not give a care about the registry.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)