Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What Are The Symptoms of A Kidney Infection?

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:32 AM
  • 24 Replies

I've never had one but I've had lower back pain for about 3 days now. It's not the entire lower back. It's pain on each side of the lower back but more the left side than right. It's actually a little higher than the lower back, like if you had love handles...that area. The pain on the left will occasionally spread around to the front and up toward (and under) the rib cage. The pain on the right stays local. It's not excruciating, more of a dull achey pain that kind of throbs a bit. My urine is pretty dark as well. There doesn't appear to be blood in it. It just kind of looks like apple juice. I've had kidney stones before and it doesn't feel like that.

Just in case there's a lot of "go see a doctor" replies, it's on my to do list. The last week I've been overloaded with appointments for the kids. I have 3 appointments for 2 kids today and one tomorrow for my baby to get her head ultrasound. I have to do food shopping after that appointment so I can't go tomorrow. Friday I have 3 appointments for 3 of my children so I can't go then either. I'll probably try to get in on Monday because there is only one appointment first thing in the morning and that shouldn't take too long. 

by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:46 AM
Maybe pancreas, glad u are going to dr!
kiddycat73
by Platinum Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:48 AM
If it's a kidney infection, you could be in the hospital by Monday. Kidney infections are serious business. I am a dialysis nurse. I have a 25 year old patient that is on dialysis because she didn't get treatment for an infection. Trust me, you don't want to end up on dialysis.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:51 AM
Could be kidneys, gallbladder, pancreas.. You need to get checked out, today.
mom2many747
by Momma Duck on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:19 AM

I know it's not the gallbladder. I get really severe gallbladder attacks. Completely wrong area. I think it may be the wrong area for the pancreas too. I don't know. Maybe I just slept wrong :-)

Quoting Anonymous: Could be kidneys, gallbladder, pancreas.. You need to get checked out, today.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:20 AM

You will also have a general ill feeling, not wanting to get off the couch, nausea, and a fever.

EarlGrayHot
by Platinum Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:22 AM

Your urine is dark because there is blood in it.  Go to someone right away and don't delay.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:23 AM
This for sure. Kidney infections are bad news, mama. I had one a couple of years ago that I was unaware of until it was too late and it sent me to the ER. I almost didn't make it.

Quoting kiddycat73: If it's a kidney infection, you could be in the hospital by Monday. Kidney infections are serious business. I am a dialysis nurse. I have a 25 year old patient that is on dialysis because she didn't get treatment for an infection. Trust me, you don't want to end up on dialysis.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:27 AM
Don't leave it that long, these things can get very nasty left alone. I had one and it wasn't too bothersome but I was pregnant so I got checked out for the sake of the baby. It was so bad that I developed septicemia and was in the hospital over a week. I lost the baby and almost died. If I hadn't been pregnant I wouldn't have bothered going in and I'd have been dead within a matter of days.

If yours going to medical appointments anyway ask a doctor if they can do the test. It will just take a minute and you can call your dr and have them call in antibiotics. Even just call the dr and say you think you have a kidney infection, they may just call in a prescription without seeing you.
ThisLife16309
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:40 AM

you feel fucking like death i was throwing up everything even water I was so so sick. I went to the hospital and the only reason the checked my kidneys where because I jumped when she touchedmy lower back on one side I normally in pain with my back all the time so I get use to the pain ,But it can be bad. I was in the hospital for a week on fluids and high antiboitcs through the fluids. It was bad I never ever ever want ot hve one again plus my potassium level droped to a dangerous level . I would rather have both my kids back to back with no pain relief then go thorugh that again

Shaynas_Mommy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:47 AM
That kind of pain could also be your gall bladder. The symptoms are both similar. I had a kidney infection in high school, and it was excruciating. I couldn't get out of bed for 2 weeks and lost about 20 pounds.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)