Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Accutane users...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies

im wondering how it worked for you. Did it work? did you have any bad side effects from it? im looking to ask my dr about it since im sick of looking like im a teenager going through pubert (im not...im 27). My hormones are still all over the place from having my last ds but i cant take these huge painful breakouts anymore so im looking to hear your stories with this med. any stories will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
TXHulaMama
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:16 AM

I took it years ago for nodular acne, the hard painful mount kind. I still have breakouts, but I no longer have issues with nodular acne.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:22 AM

BUMP!

singlemom416
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:27 AM

Hell no. I've known a lot  people who took it and it didn't work not to mention it can cause depression. My kids doc put her on spironolactone to block testosterone and birth control for estrogen. Worked like a charm since my kids acne was due to crazy hormones.

TableforSeven
by Ruby Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:29 AM

I took accutane back when it was new in 1989-1991.  I was diagnosed with cystic acne and my dermatologist said accurate was the best choice for me.  The side affects while taking it were pretty nasty - it REALLY dried out my skin, especially around my mouth.  My mouth got so dry that it wasn't just my lips cracking, but the corners of my mouth and into my cheeks would crack and bleed.  My periods were irregular back then (I was on it while a junior/senior in high school) - it didn't really affect my periods at all (at least not that I'm aware of).  I did have to go in for monthly blood tests....namely a pregnancy test which was stupid since I wasn't sexually active, but my doc wouldn't allow me to take the meds without it.  For the first several months on it I really broke out - 

TableforSeven
by Ruby Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Ugh - stupid computer.....won't let me edit and submitted too soon - so to finish my reply.....

When I first started on it, I broke out horribly - especially on my back (where I had never had acne before).  But - over the next many months the breakouts were less and less.  The dry lips/mouth did not go away until a few months after I was off of the accutane.  I was on it at 16-17 years old.....I am 40 now and still get the occasional pimple - but I don't break out like I used to, and I don't seem to have the cystic acne like I did as a teen.

I have had 5 healthy babies between then and now.  When I got pregnant with our first baby in 1992 - less than a year after finishing the accutane - the doctors were a bit concerned....but she was (and is) a perfectly healthy person (she's 21 years old now).

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:42 AM

The ended up putting my daughter on it as a last resort when she was in high school. We had tried every possible cream, treatment, drug, pill and nothing worked. She was on the accutane for less than a month and her skin was completely clear. It does have some scary side affects, but we thought it was worth a try given how bad her acne was.

JackAttacks
by Angel on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:45 AM

my sister  took it a few years ago (she was about your age at the time) and it worked WONDERS for her. her skin is PERFECT now and she didnt have any negative side effects.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)