Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I allow my son's friend to sleep over again considering what happened last time?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 227 Replies

My fifth-grader asked if his friend could sleep over this weekend. Unfortunately, the last time this friend slept over, he wet the bed, soaking the sheets on my son's bed. They apologized, said this almost never happens to him, but I was the one stuck with the laundry and cleaning the mattress which I was very close to throwing out because it was almost ruined. I told my son that his friend can sleep over this time, but his mother has to send him with protection: goodnites, a diaper, something like that or he would not be allowed to sleep over. I think this is a reasonable request, but my son was too embarrassed to pass the message. I called the friend's mother this morning and left her a voicemail issuing the request, but now I am second guessing myself on whether I did the right thing. What should I do?  I don't want to appear unreasonable but I also don't want another accident to happen on one of my matreesses or carpet. What do you think is the right thing to do?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:37 AM
25 moms liked this
I think you put your son in a terrible position asking him to tell his friend that!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this

i guess, but when he said he didn't feel comfortable it's not like i made him do it

Quoting peanutsmommy1: I think you put your son in a terrible position asking him to tell his friend that!

Sbellemommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:38 AM
37 moms liked this
Buy a cheap plastic mattress cover. They are like $5. The kid was probably mortified and your son has tact which is why he didn't tell him he needed to wear a diaper.
ZombieMeat
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:39 AM
12 moms liked this

We have mattress covers, so it wouldn't have been an issue. I wouldn't punish a child for something he/she couldn't control.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:39 AM
I'd let him come as he is, but make him sleep on the floor.

So in the worse case scenario, you'll just have a few blankets to wash.
HAHuskey
by Gold Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:39 AM
Buy one of those water proof things that go under the sheet
JamesMom714
by Platinum Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:39 AM
4 moms liked this
Get a $20 waterproof mattress protector. In all honesty the beds should all have them anyway. Accidents happen be it pee, vomit or a spilled drink.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this

where can you buy them?

Quoting Sbellemommy: Buy a cheap plastic mattress cover. They are like $5. The kid was probably mortified and your son has tact which is why he didn't tell him he needed to wear a diaper.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:40 AM

I think, for the sake of the boy (embarrassment), you should have just contacted the mother and left your son out of it. I don't think it's too crazy a request to require the boy have overnight protection if he's gonna stay at your home. If the mom isn't okay with it, then she doesn't have to let him stay. 

AutymsMommy
by Platinum Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:40 AM
5 moms liked this

I agree that you should just get a mattress cover. The minimal cost is worth the poor child's self esteem.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)