Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are you for or aganist military benefit changes??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 806 Replies
http://m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/federal-eye/wp/2014/02/24/pentagon-budget-would-cut-military-medical-benefits-and-commissary-funding/

Apparently this has the potential to save a ton of money if it passes. Everyone knows how much the DOD spends, so it's good. In a way.

I don't know where I stand really.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:38 AM
They're changing Tricare ( military health insurance by making them pay, and veterans pay more), making them pay more for housing, smaller pay raises, cuts to commissaries, and "firing" a ton of troops. There's also a plan to change retirement pay.
wickedfiress
by Platinum Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:39 AM
26 moms liked this

How about we cut spending in other areas. There are plenty of places to choose from. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:41 AM
There are- I agree.

This seems like a easy answer to get cuts though.

I read while defense is a big part of the budget; personnel costs are a small part. So makes zero sense why they're cutting 50% from something that only equates to 18%. (Guessing on #s but you get the idea)

Quoting wickedfiress:

How about we cut spending in other areas. There are plenty of places to chose from. 

jlbelknap35
by Jessica on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:41 AM

The commissary part I could care less about but the rest of it I am not for. 

LaughCryLive
by Ruby Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:41 AM
4 moms liked this
IDC. When the economy sucks for everyone else idk why troops shouldn't be affected.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this
Should they be soely responsible for fixing the nations budget though?

Quoting LaughCryLive: IDC. When the economy sucks for everyone else idk why troops shouldn't be affected.
LaughCryLive
by Ruby Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:43 AM
4 moms liked this
I never said that. But tax payers who aren't getting raises and are struggling to pay their bills are paying for the military to live the "good life" which is bullshit.

Quoting Anonymous: Should they be soely responsible for fixing the nations budget though?

Quoting LaughCryLive: IDC. When the economy sucks for everyone else idk why troops shouldn't be affected.
Outspoken.Mime
by Platinum Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:44 AM
42 moms liked this

I am AGAINST it.  Our military risks their lives and the starting salary is a pittance.

What we need to do is cut entitlement programs, not cut military benefits to the bone so more and more of our military simply end up ON THEM.

How is this going to save money when its only going to put more military families on food stamps?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:44 AM
8 moms liked this
I guess I will be for it- if they stop making them sign contracts. Unlike the rest of us, we can quit when our employer dicks us- they can't.

Outspoken.Mime
by Platinum Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:45 AM
27 moms liked this

I want to know who in the military lives the GOOD LIFE.

Being away for your family for 12 months a time is hardly the GOOD LIFE.

Quoting LaughCryLive: I never said that. But tax payers who aren't getting raises and are struggling to pay their bills are paying for the military to live the "good life" which is bullshit.
Quoting Anonymous: Should they be soely responsible for fixing the nations budget though?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN