Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Excited but nervous too...in regards to kindergarten

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 5 Replies

My my son got into the charter school I signed him up for. It was a long shot, so many people want to get their kids in there, and it's totally random on who gets in. They do a lottery. I was so excited that he got in! I still am, but now I'm nervous too.

He goes to preschool right now, three days a week for five hours a day. Kindergarten will be five days a week for seven hours a day. I guess I'm just worried about him having such a long day. Is that silly of me, to be nervous about the longer day?

Also, what's your opinion on charter schools?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Depends on the charter, the program, but they can be great!
Can he just go for 1/2 day?      (Or come home at lunch if necessary?) 

hautemama83
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:57 AM
Charter schools are the same as public schools IMO. Theres good and bad ones. My ds is in a wonderful public school, I have zero complaints. He just started k this year, he's done fine with all day school.
ame85
by Chemistry cat on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:01 PM
It will be an adjustment for a little while but he will get use to it, they all do.
2pink1blue
by Gold Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:02 PM

He'll be fine.  My youngest started K this year and had never gone a full day either.  It took her about a month to fully adjust to all the new kids, the new teachers and the new school schedule but she did great!

I just made sure her afterschool schedule was fairly open, limited her after school activities and put her to bed 30-45 minutes early when necessary.

Lori942
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:10 PM

I was nervous too when my kids started full days at school.  It's amazing how quick they adjust!  Sorry I'm  not familar with charter schools.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)