Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

UPDATE**would you buy this off of craigslist?

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 3:34 PM
  • 97 Replies

i'll be moving into my new place this friday and i would have a mini laundry room, so i'm currently looking for a good washer and dryer set that won't break the bank. 

would it be wise to buy a set off of craigslist? or should i go through an actual store for the warranty? or anyone want to give me a set? lol

I scored an awesome GE pair for $260.  they're brand new.  the only issue is that they have little scratches on it.

by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 3:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
arimaur
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Chunkymunkey922
by Platinum Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 3:41 PM
3 moms liked this
Just speaking from experience, I would buy new. I went through 3 cheap used washers in about 2 years before breaking down and buying a new one. Totally worth it!
Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Go through a store with a warranty. Also, just so you know, Sears does lay away.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 12, 2014 at 3:43 PM
So many are upgrading to front loaders I would. Just look for people who are upgrading not replacing because it broke.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 12, 2014 at 3:44 PM
1 mom liked this

No, personally I wouldn't.  If it was still good, why would they get rid of it?

littlemoments99
by Gold Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 3:44 PM

We just sold a dryer to someone off of craigslist. I really hope it lasts them a long time. We only got rid of it because it was electric and we converted to gas. 

Candi1024
by Gold Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 3:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Absolutely. In fact the older ones are so much better than the new ones. The new ones often break within a couple years, and parts could be expensive. I actually prefer used in this case.
MrsAmyLynn83
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 3:46 PM

For a washer and dryer I would definitely buy new if you can afford to. I consider my washer and dryer a complete necessity, couldn't live without it! lol... No way would I chance getting a pair that was abused or worked on incorrectly in the past. If needed I'd buy the cheapest brand new set I could find while saving for a better set. 

TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 3:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I would buy it IF it were from a very nice home and they were changing colors or something.  Or if it were from an estate. 

You will still pay to have it hauled, unless you have your own truck and appliance dolly, so factor that in. 

anon71
by Momma Squirrel on Mar. 12, 2014 at 3:48 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with it. My dd recently bought some appliances from a couple who were replacing their black appliances with stainless steel. Everything was in excellent condition and pretty high end. She hasn't had any problems. No matter what, I would not buy a front load washer.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)