Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If I can't discipline her I won't babysit her.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 164 Replies

Yesterday I was home with my kids (Boy 7 and girl 5)and my SD (6). All the kids were arguing so I sent them all to different rooms. Well SD thought it would be a good idea to smart off at me so I popped her butt and sent her to her room. About 30 minutes later her grandmother (DH's ex MIL) shows up. Apparently SD called her and asked her to come get her. Fine since I was doing BM a favor. It wasn't DH's scheduled visitation time. Well this morning BM called DH and told him I was not to discipline SD at all. Well see I have a problem with that because I am not going to let some 6 year old kid get a smart mouth with me without any consequences so I told DH I would not babysit her again. Now BM is all pissed because she doesn't have a babysitter until next week. Her babysitter is on vacation this week.

So in your opinion was I wrong to discipline her? Oh and for the record if it had been one of my kids it would have been a lot worse than just a little pop on the butt. They would have been grounded on top of getting a spanking.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 12, 2014 at 6:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pnukey
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 6:40 PM
5 moms liked this

I wouldn't watch her either. GL to BM.

mommy_me
by Emerald Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 6:41 PM
8 moms liked this
Yes. You have NO right to put hands on their child favor or not
LokisMama
by Platinum Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 6:41 PM
4 moms liked this
I'm with you on this one.

I wouldn't watch anyones kids that I couldn't discipline in some way if they mouthed off or misbehaved.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Mar. 12, 2014 at 6:41 PM
5 moms liked this
I wouldn't babysit I couldn't discipline either.
briellesmomma
by Velvet on Mar. 12, 2014 at 6:42 PM
5 moms liked this
She's not your child to spank. Otherwise sending her to a room is fine.
Kmary
by Platinum Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 6:42 PM
4 moms liked this

Well...I do think a caregiver should be able to discipline any child in their care.  But spanking is not discipline at all.   It is punishment.  They are 2 very different things.  Is her bio mom ok with spanking?  In her shoes, I'd be fine with you disciplining her, but I sure wouldn't allow you to spank her, probably even if I were a person who believed in spanking for my own kids.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 12, 2014 at 6:43 PM

DH said he would have done the same thing and I did nothing wrong. He is with me on this one.

Quoting briellesmomma: She's not your child to spank. Otherwise sending her to a room is fine.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 12, 2014 at 6:43 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with you I wouldn't watch her smart mouth any more either.
Isaacsmom913
by Ruby Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 6:43 PM
4 moms liked this

Sorry but you crossed the line when you put a hand on her.  Verbal rebellion doesn't warrent physical disipline even if she were your biological child.  So I fully agree with bio-mom on that, but not the "don't disipline" her at all.  That is ridiculous.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 12, 2014 at 6:44 PM
You should not have physically disciplined her.

I wouldn't continue to babysit either.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)