Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Failure of a Mother

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:06 PM
  • 44 Replies

Well due to my husbands job we are having to move to my parents house yet again! He got a General Manager position and we moved to this nice house for my family, but they recently demoted him because the location of his store is bad and the sells just aren't there. So now we have two car payments, car insurance, rent, utilites and a whole bunch of other bills. Well now we cannot afford this house and have to move...oh did I mention my brother-in-law lives with us and even with his portion he pays, we still can't afford it...we have moved in with my parents at least 3 times in the past and now have to do it again! I love that I have parents who are there for us but I feel like we are failing our kids. I am a SAHM and was planning on going back to school this fall but I may have to put that off again to get a morning job to help our family. We swore we would never move back in with my parents because we are grown and need to make it on our own, just like everyone else, but we can't. I just want to break down and cry but I'm trying to stay strong for my kids. I hate myself, and my husbands job, for us having to be in this situation again! Also my husband has looked for others jobs but since he has been in fast food all his life, there is nothing out there that will give him a chance because he doesn't have to experience for it. Every since we have been together it has been one obsticle after another, we have lost a car before, house, we can never just catch a break...Just wanted to vent and get advice...I am right for feeling like this??

by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I would have started looking for a job after the first time
B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:10 PM
4 moms liked this

You might want to look into a budgeting class. A demotion should not mean that you can't afford your mortgage that you split with someone else. Sell your cars and buy older dependable models that come with no payments and drastically lower insurance premiums. Sell the house and rent or buy a smaller/older/cheaper one in a cheaper neighborhood. Cancel cable and other extras if you haven't already, minimize your phone plans as much as possible, and see about finding some freelance work editing/babysitting/whatever you can do.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:10 PM
3 moms liked this

Sending you hugs.  This sucks.  This squeezing out of the middle class that began in the 1980s is really making it hard for young people to make it.  The 1 % are wringing out every possible dollar for themselves and really sticking it to the workers.  We need more government programs and assistance for the working class, better schools, less costly education, better and more affordable or free childcare -- the list goes on.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:11 PM
1 mom liked this
You bought a house you could barely afford, two cars you couldn't afford, and little to no emergency fund money. Not surprised you are in this situation. Go to the library and get a copy of Dave Ramsey's book the total money makeover. Read it, then read it again.
s_lauderdale_06
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:12 PM

Yea well he wanted to move up in the company, like his boss

Quoting peanutsmommy1: I would have started looking for a job after the first time

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:14 PM
You should have gotten a job a long time ago.
s_lauderdale_06
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:15 PM

No we are just renting our house and we could afford it and our car payments, but with his unexpected demotion, we now cannot

Quoting Anonymous: You bought a house you could barely afford, two cars you couldn't afford, and little to no emergency fund money. Not surprised you are in this situation. Go to the library and get a copy of Dave Ramsey's book the total money makeover. Read it, then read it again.

s_lauderdale_06
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Yes I should have but I wanted to stay at home with my kids while they were young

Quoting Anonymous: You should have gotten a job a long time ago.

malibucj
by Platinum Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I would think you should have gotten a job the first tme it happened.  I know being a sahm is nice, but when in that situation, you both need to step up to the plate.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:21 PM
1 mom liked this

thats horrible! i'm sorry that is happening. I hate when things start going so right, and then theyt sneak up, and bite right back. I hope that everything turns out well for your family. I really do. At least you guys are lucky to have your parents to help, even when its hard to ask. My mom is the same exact way. I love knowing that if we need a little extra money for diapers or something and they have a little spening money for themselves, they don't mind helping. Good luck to everyone!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)