Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

collection agency help

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies
I was wondering if anyone has dealt with this.

I graduated my school back in 2011... paid some towards student loans. But haven't really been able to pay the full amount in over a year now. I make payments towards it but I also have it in deferment.

I got a letter from a collection agency, wanting $12,000+.... from the school I went to.

But all my loans are through sallie mae. I went online and called to verify that yes, my loans are still in deferment, the first payment isn't due until August... my loans through them are over $22,000- about the right amount. The guy I talked with (at sallie mae) said I may have taken out another loan, or may have gotten me confused with someone else.

I tried calling the national student loan database but had an emergency call from ds' school. I plan on calling tomorrow to find out what loans I have, / and if they are only from sallie mae, I plan on calling the collection agency to find out where/why I owe them.

Honestly I have no idea what I'm going to say. It didn't make sense to me at all. Anyone else deal with this?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:24 PM

That is crazy! My DH has a student loan with Sallie Mae, he too doesn't have a payment due but until September. Hope you get it all figured out! We've never had any issues with Sallie Mae.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Tell them they need to prove you owe the money. You want a copy of the SIGNED contract.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:30 PM
Bump
LAXmom21
by Ruby Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:32 PM
This exactly!!! It doesn't sound right.

Quoting Anonymous:

Tell them they need to prove you owe the money. You want a copy of the SIGNED contract.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:33 PM
It didn't make sense to me. Sallie mae says I'm still in deferment so I'm not stressing over them... but what of this place?! Do I owe them $12,000 on top of my $22,000?

And if I do owe them from back when I was in school, why wait 3 years after I graduated to contact me? Why not before graduation, soon after, or even a year after if I never paid towards it, ya know.

Quoting Anonymous:

That is crazy! My DH has a student loan with Sallie Mae, he too doesn't have a payment due but until September. Hope you get it all figured out! We've never had any issues with Sallie Mae.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:34 PM
Oh. I also checked credit karma, and they only have my $22,000 from sallie mae towards what I owe (plus a credit card but that's only $168)
TommyAbby
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:35 PM

Send them a signed receipt letter asking for validation. By law, they have to send you proof. But you only have 30 days from the day your got notice to request it. 

abt1019
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:35 PM

Agree with PP's, get a copy of the signed contract as proof.

I got a call once saying I owed $5000 in student loans, I asked for proof and never heard back. I've never once taken out a loan in my life and my schooling is free via California's Board of Governor's Waiver. If they have a copy of your contract then you'll know. :)

chicagoliz
by Gold Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:37 PM

That doesn't make sense.  You need to demand from them all the information about the debt -- when it was incurred, to whom, etc.  They have to supply this to you.  

Also, collection agencies get a lot of incorrect information. This very well may not be your loan, but you should investigate it because you don't want something incorrect ending up on your credit report.  They'll call anyone with a name that's even remotely similar.  And they get a lot of incorrect referrals, too.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:03 PM

I totally get it! I think someone is trying to scam you to be honest. Tell them to send you a contract signed with your signature. Maybe Google the name of the Collection agency to see if it's real or not. No one waits 3 years to request their money back. Something is off.....

Quoting Anonymous: It didn't make sense to me. Sallie mae says I'm still in deferment so I'm not stressing over them... but what of this place?! Do I owe them $12,000 on top of my $22,000? And if I do owe them from back when I was in school, why wait 3 years after I graduated to contact me? Why not before graduation, soon after, or even a year after if I never paid towards it, ya know.
Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)