Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

[ SECOND UPDATE IN BLACK] So fed up with DCFS in Florida!

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:55 PM
  • 107 Replies

UPDATE AGAIN:

The Alabama DHR office called me back first thing this morning. She talked to the court liaison this morning and called me back to confirm it was a Florida case. So I called and left a message for the case worker in Graceville. He called me back less than 10 minutes later sounding very panicked and asking for who I talked to and what their number was. I'm thinking someone is not wanting to do the paperwork. Still waiting for another update from him. I didn't hear anything back today so I will be calling again on Monday. I followed all the suggestions here. I contacted all the media outlets I could think of. The attorney general. State representatives. The Governers office. Everything.

UPDATE: I talked to DCFS again today. First I talked to the supervisor who was not happy with the situation but told me that since the parents are in Alabama as far as they knew that Alabama would have to handle it. I talked to DHR in Alabama and they said that since my niece didn't live there long enough to be a resident of the state (6 months) that they can't handle the case. I AM GOING TO LOSE MY MIND.

Almost a month ago on February 19th DCFS left my 14 year old niece, Kali, with me after she had run away from a really bad situation.

In November she had been kicked out of her grandparents house and had no where to go other than her alcoholic, drug addict mother’s place. They were living with her mother’s friend who on more than one occasion hit and slapped her, as well as throwing her against a wall. This also happened with her grandmother’s boyfriend. Nobody did anything about it. They had no food and no heat. She was allowed to drink, party, get high, and go wherever, whenever, with whoever.

She finally was fed up and ran away on February 12th after my sister left her alone at a hotel for two days with nothing. No one even noticed or reported her missing for three days, and my sister even lied on the missing persons report so she wouldn’t get in trouble. I was the ONLY one who even looked for her. She had hitchhiked to Panama City Beach where she stayed with this kid and his family until she realized I was looking for her. She showed up on my house the morning of the 19th.

It has been almost a month and DCFS has not done anything! I don’t have a custody order. I can’t enroll her in school. I can’t get her birth certificate. I can’t get her social security card. I can’t add her to our Tricare and DEERS (my husband is military). I talked to a lawyer who said I needed custody for 6 months before we can leave the state, and my husband is being stationed in Maryland in December when he gets back from deployment.

We want to keep her with us. Her mother has not been sober enough to get anything coherent from when I talked to her. She was so hell bent on DCFS not being involved because she thinks they will just throw Kali in a girls home. She said I need to get Kali on antidepressants and bipolar medication, which she clearly does not need. Her father is MIA and on a heroin bender the last I heard. Her father said he doesn't want her on more than one occasion. The grandparents said they don't want her. Her mother doesn't care what happens to her. But we want her and we want her to have the best life we can give her. We can't do that if no one else will do what they are supposed to do though.

I have called and called and called. I am usually met with attitude and no progress. Panama City sent the case to Graceville but they haven’t done anything but talk to the grandparents who said they didn’t want her or care. They refuse to investigate the jurisdiction or make any claim. Every time I call for an update the case worker gives me an attitude and acts like I am crazy for even trying. I am beyond frustrated. I tried to get them to call the lawyer and they won’t. She said she would represent me for free if the state would file something!

I seriously don't know what else to do! I have a GoFundMe started for people to donate for legal fees and an attorney retainer (which is $2500 for the low income attorney) but I doubt it will cover all the costs of that. Legal aid turned me down for help. JAG doesn't handle family law.

Wife to Stephen
Mom to Haylen & Evelyn
Stepmom to Peter

by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ConnorsMommy21
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:00 PM

I am so sorry you are having to deal with the state. You niece is so lucky to have you. Here's a bump

moms_a_nurse
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:01 PM

Wow. That's rough! Who filed the DCF report to begin with ?

heythereelizah
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Quoting ConnorsMommy21:

I am so sorry you are having to deal with the state. You niece is so lucky to have you. Here's a bump

Thank you. It is so stressful! I just want to punch someone. LOL

Wife to Stephen
Mom to Haylen & Evelyn
Stepmom to Peter

heythereelizah
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:04 PM

Quoting moms_a_nurse:

Wow. That's rough! Who filed the DCF report to begin with ?

When she ran away she was living with her mom who does not have custody. They can not figure out who has legal custody. I believe it is her father but he is MIA. When she turned up at my house I called the police and told them I had her. She explained to the cop why she ran away and the cop turned it over to DCFS.

Wife to Stephen
Mom to Haylen & Evelyn
Stepmom to Peter

caelynandcody
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:05 PM
Can your niece be emancipated?
ConnorsMommy21
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Is there any way to just circumvent this case and start a new one within an adoption case? You could find the templates for fileing for a adoption pro sae on the courts website.

Quoting heythereelizah:

Quoting ConnorsMommy21:

Thank you. It is so stressful! I just want to punch someone. LOL

baby development
babies
baby development
thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:07 PM
An attorney may be able to push this along.

Welcome to cps, where children are forgotten because of paperwork.
MichLW69
by PackersXLV4 on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:07 PM
Petition the courts for immediate emergency custody. My ex IL's had to do this with their great grandson here in Hillsborough County.
heythereelizah
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:08 PM

Quoting caelynandcody: Can your niece be emancipated?

I doubt it. Not at 14.

Wife to Stephen
Mom to Haylen & Evelyn
Stepmom to Peter

heythereelizah
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:09 PM

Quoting MichLW69: Petition the courts for immediate emergency custody. My ex IL's had to do this with their great grandson here in Hillsborough County.

The only thing I can do is file for temporary custody and that requires me to have all kinds of information I don't have, including the parents permission.

Wife to Stephen
Mom to Haylen & Evelyn
Stepmom to Peter

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN