Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teenage girl destined for prison

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies

I have a 16 year old niece who is flunking her way through high school. I'm not even sure how she's a sophomore, since she has only 5 credits to her name. I know my ILs have no idea what to do with her. Her mother had a stroke a few years ago and can't even take care of herself, and was a druggie before then, so I'm sure she wasn't raising her before that, either.

This girl apparently thinks she's so smart that she doesn't need to go to school or study or anything. She was threatening to run away to try to force her grandmother to let her boyfriend stay the night. I'm not even sure what happened with that.

She was moved about an hour away from the town I live in, but her mothers boyfriend (not her father) couldn't deal with her and sent her to live with her aunt, my sil, who kicked her out after awhile to live with her grandmother. I've gotten the impression that she's very involved in the bad kids group at school.

Anyway, I would have no idea how to deal with a kid with this kind of attitude. What would you do? What can you do?

eta: changed the title to maybe get some useable advice. She probably is headed for prison, eventually, if she continues on her current path. Her mother was a druggie and alcoholic. Her mothers boyfriend is a druggie and an alcoholic. The house she used to live in was constantly full of druggies and I doubt she's had any real parenting in her life. She constantly cuts school and apparently doesn't even try to do any of the work, doesn't even care. She's having sex, probably doing drugs and her grandmother, who is nominally taking care of her, is at her wits end. Her grandmother, btw, had the same problems with the girls mother, and did a pi$$ poor job of raising her kids. Out of the 5 of them, all four girls are alcoholics or headed that way. Two were teen moms. Two are or were druggies (the one had a stroke and can't get drugs, now. she's said that if she ever recovers enough, she'll be doing drugs again. Her stepdad wants her out of his home, but is stuck with her, since she's still disabled from a stroke.) DH is the only normal one of the bunch of them, and that's because he hid from his family by playing with computers and electronics.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:31 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:38 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:41 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:44 PM

BUMP!

crescentstar2
by expecto patronum on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:45 PM
Idk I hope to never have to try
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:46 PM
Military type school
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:48 PM

Me, too. We're leaving the state soon and will probably never come back. Too much drama from the ILs, kwim?

Quoting crescentstar2: Idk I hope to never have to try

crescentstar2
by expecto patronum on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:49 PM
My ILs don't have drama but I understand do what's best for your family

Quoting Anonymous:

Me, too. We're leaving the state soon and will probably never come back. Too much drama from the ILs, kwim?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:50 PM

That's great idea, sadly, I'm pretty sure my ILs can't afford that. MIL is on diability, FIL recently retired early due to medical problems. They're pretty much broke. Maybe a scholarship type thing? Do military type schools do needs based things like that? Everything I know about military school comes from Malcolm in the Middle, lol.

Quoting Anonymous: Military type school

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:52 PM

Most of my DHs family are druggies, alcoholics, on public assistance, juvenile delinquents. You get the picture. He wants to get away from them, too, and we don't want them to influence our kids. I wish DHs family was more normal.

Quoting crescentstar2: My ILs don't have drama but I understand do what's best for your family
Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)