Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If you know a mother who doesn't have custody of her children...

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:06 PM
  • 79 Replies

Poll

Question: Why did the woman give up custody?

Options:

Yes, she/they chose to give up full/joint custody for her own selfish reasons

She/they gave up custody due to their job

She/they gave up custody due to not being able to care for the child F/T

She/they fought for custody and lost

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 108

View Results

Do you know a mother who doesnt have full or joint custody of her children? If so, was it because she chose to give up custody? I know there are many women who dont have full or joint custody and have very valid reasons as to why they dont. But most of the women I know, or know of, who dont have custody have chosen to give up custody and in most cases it has been because they left the children behind when they started a "new life" (Moved out of the house, moved in with someone else, etc). Just wondering if this is the norm.

by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kbutton24
by Mrs.Sima on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:08 PM
My cousin no longer has custody of her two children due to drugs. However she's working very hard to turn her life around so she can get them back. I'm really proud of how far she has come.
JBiiirdD
by No Day but Today on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:09 PM
We have my stepson. His mother screwed herself in court.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:09 PM
Why do we assume it was hers to start with? At the start of a divorce, neither party should assume that it's theirs to give up or keep.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:10 PM
And if she cleans herself up, dad should just hand them back? Or do they not live with dad either?

Quoting kbutton24: My cousin no longer has custody of her two children due to drugs. However she's working very hard to turn her life around so she can get them back. I'm really proud of how far she has come.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:10 PM
Her doucebag ex got custody and is abusing their daughter but no one wants to listen to her and she can't just take her since its "kidnapping.".
imthatgirl0607
by Ruby Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:10 PM
All of the women i know who dont have custody if their kids is because they walked away.
ZelisMommy
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:10 PM

Quoting kbutton24: My cousin no longer has custody of her two children due to drugs. However she's working very hard to turn her life around so she can get them back. I'm really proud of how far she has come.

Good for her. I hope she can stay clean. And I hope she knows how proud you are of her. Im sure that alone can be motivation for her to stay on the path she's on.

Lydlou02
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:10 PM
2 moms liked this
How about she realized her son needed more time with his father, so allowed him primary physical custody?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:11 PM
I would only do joint custody if I was in the situation. I want my kids to have their dad in their lives. Now if it were for their own safety... I'd fight for full custody.
ZelisMommy
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:11 PM

For the sake of this post, lets assume it was.

Quoting Anonymous: Why do we assume it was hers to start with? At the start of a divorce, neither party should assume that it's theirs to give up or keep.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN