Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

It's ridiculous for a 6 year old to be in a 5 pt harness

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
That's what my mom told my dd yesterday. So now my dd wants a booster seat without a harness. I'm so sick of my mom undermining my parenting decisions. She said she has to roll her eyes at the teachers that get my dd from the car in the mornings at school, and that she's going to get a booster seat for her in her car.

She's doing it to be a vindictive a hole. She has to take my dd to school in the mornings when I am working, because I have to be at work at 6...so she knows I can't lash out at her. I guess she's on a power trip? My dd being in a harness is no hassle whatsoever for her. My dd can buckle and unbuckle herself. Ugh.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:32 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 13, 2014 at 12:06 AM

Nascar drivers use head stabilizers as well.  And kids less than 4/40 or with behavorial issues do not belong in seat belts. I never said seat belts are right for every child.

Quoting TheSilence: Please explain to all of us why race car drivers use 5 point harnesses and not seat belts since your logic says that seat belts are safer.
Quoting Anonymous:

Think about it. In a 5 point harness the child's body is strapped down so if you wreck its mostly the head that moves forward. In a booster the child's body will move forward a bit more and the head will move with the body rather than snapping forward alone. Much less pressure on the spine. I have some links to crash test videos but I use firefox so I am having trouble posting them.

Quoting Anonymous: No it won't. Where in the world did you get that info?
Quoting Anonymous:

Personally I think a booster is a safer option for a 6 year old above 40 lbs because in a harness a child's head will fly forward much farther in a harness than in a booster.

TheSilence
by Tá mé an mó on Mar. 13, 2014 at 12:07 AM
3 moms liked this
All of these people saying the grandma is right, cut the cord blah blah blah, the fact of the matter is that the mother is the one making these choices not the grandma. She should respect the mothers choices even if she doesn't agree with them.
MommaGreenhalge
by Silver Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 12:07 AM

This is one of the reasons I made sure my DS was booster trained before we started school.  I think your mom is being a moron, but if you don't think you have a choice then you need to make sure your DD knows enough to be her own safety advocate.  I don't trust my inlaws as far as I can throw them when it comes to safety, but I know my six year old is concerned about his own safety and that of his brother and sister.  He rides harnessed in the family car, but he has a booster in my car and when he is with my IL's. 

FWIW, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a school age child in a 5pt harness.  But considering you are relying on others for transportation, you need to make sure she can safely ride in a HBB.  And make sure your mom is getting a HBB and not a backless. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 13, 2014 at 12:07 AM
8 moms liked this

I used to know a really redneck dumb bitch of a chick who would say this to me all the time, is your name Crystal?

Caring about your childrens safety and following the guidelines for child car seat safety doesn't mean OP hasn't "cut the cord" it just means she doesn't want her childs internal organs to rupture and bleed out into her little abdomen in the event of a car accident.

Time to cut the cord mama!

Cbreland07
by Ruby Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 12:07 AM
Actually as long as she's the correct height/weight a high back booster is just as safe as a 5 pt harness.
AmiJanell
by Silver Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 12:08 AM

How often does your mom have her in the car? If it's not for long periods of time... maybe consider booster training when she is with your mom... she'll transition to a booster soon-ish I would think, rather than cause a lot of drama, it might be something to consider.  A properly used booster at your daughter's age would be as safe as her harnessed seat.  

My son is 5 1/2 and in a harness still as well... but when he turns 6 (this summer) we are going to start booster training, he doesn't have too much time left on his harness and I want to make sure he's booster ready before next winter. 

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Mar. 13, 2014 at 12:10 AM

Keep him in a harness in your car and get him a booster for grannys. He's 6, he can use a booster.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 13, 2014 at 12:14 AM

Race car drivers also use head restraints. A 5 point harness works by having contact with the strongest parts of the body and in the event of a collision it helps the body ride down rather than coming to an abrupt stop. A seat belt does the same thing with 3 points of contact. Having the extra 2 points of contact could make a huge different for a race car driver traveling at high speeds but for an older child with more mature bones and typical driving speeds I wouldn't  worry about it.

Quoting Anonymous: Uhm what? Lol a harness is much safe for EVERYONE. One of the reasons race car drives ave harnesses not seat belts.
Quoting Anonymous:

Personally I think a booster is a safer option for a 6 year old above 40 lbs because in a harness a child's head will fly forward much farther in a harness than in a booster.

VintageWife
by Silver Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 12:14 AM
6 moms liked this

How much does she weigh? My three younger children, including one the same age as yours, are in 5 pt harnesses. I don't care what other people think. If my child died in an accident, I wouldn't be saying,"At least they didn't die in a 5 pt harness, that would have been embarrassing..."

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 13, 2014 at 12:15 AM
4 moms liked this

I'm still rear-facing and I'm 36. Beat that, child passenger safety fanatics.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)