Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

how do you deal with this stubborness

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies
I feel the need to ask for advice about dealing with a three year old. Lately I been having a habit of snapping at my 3 yr old when he does something wrong or if he doesn't listen to me. For example if he's doing something he shouldn't do for whatever reason, I snap and tell him, "stop that, why are you doing that?" or "get off the couches" or "put that down" or "you have to listen to me". When he works my nerve I do yell sometimes, and he sometimes does yell back, "no" or demands that I give him what he is asking for. I feel really bad that I tend to react this way even though many times I do speak to him calmly too. He mostly doesn't listen to dh and I when we tell him something, and still wants his way. I don't like to yell or get all pissed that much. I feel I am a little stressed and I just don't think before I react to his behavior. A few days ago, we all went out for pizza, he was sitting there fine, until the pizza came and after 10 minutes of eating time, he yells and pushes dh because he wants to get out and leave to go to the playground. I reach over the table, and tried to sit him down, by telling him to sit, and that we aren't ready to go yet. Then I took him to my side of the bench, and he tried pushing me, and I told him, no please calm down and sit and eat. He then throws a bigger tantrum and cries more, trying to leave, so I held him up and slammed his butt back on the bench and he yelled owww, my back. He tries turning around the bench and bumps his head instead I was telling him to stop that behavior and we aren't leaving yet. So he just continues yelling in the place. I was sooo upset, I put his coat on and mine and told dh to get the pizza to go instead, as I dragged him by the hand back out to the car. I was so exhausted mentally and physically trying to hold him down so he wouldn't get off the seat. It was terrible. Has this happened or how have you dealt with the bad behavior??
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 13, 2014 at 3:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 13, 2014 at 3:50 AM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 13, 2014 at 3:54 AM

Do you really want advice , or looking for DRAMA ?

drowningmama
by Platinum Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 3:57 AM
That was way too long.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 13, 2014 at 3:57 AM

Time outs in public and at home consistently.  This stubborness can be turned / guided into a good thing but first we need the child to know who is in charge especially in public where there are many more unseen dangers.  When dd starts to argue, I give her a look and do not say a word back.  When she is done speaking, i repeat what we are doing right now and what a consequence will be if that action is not taken.  3 yr olds  really love to push buttons on parents and get a reaction out of you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 13, 2014 at 3:57 AM
why would i want Drama?? No, I do want advice or others experiences.

Quoting Anonymous:

Do you really want advice , or looking for DRAMA ?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 13, 2014 at 3:58 AM
sorry

Quoting drowningmama: That was way too long.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 13, 2014 at 4:02 AM

First, stop yelling at your child.

Redirect him, to do something else.

He does and reacts, what he sees you do as parents.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 13, 2014 at 4:02 AM
bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 13, 2014 at 4:03 AM

Every time he's doing something you don't want him doing, instead of saying anything just grab him and lick his face from chin to eyebrow. Every time. Soon, he will be too freaked out by you to do anything wrong.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Mar. 13, 2014 at 4:10 AM

Just put his butt in Time Out each and every time he doesn't listen to you or misbehaves. Be consistent each and every time.

ETA:......NO talking/yelling at him. He knows what he did is wrong. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)