Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If my kindergartner misses any more days of school I will be fined $250

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies

I got a letter from DD's school.  She is 6 and is in kindergarten.  She has missed 10 days of school this year for being sick a few different times.  The letter said that if she missed more school, I could be fined $250.  

I think it's B.S.!!!  Currently in our state, children are not required to attend kindergarten.  The letter even said twice that kids ages 7-18 can only miss so many days.  So how can they threaten to fine me if she's not even required to attend?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 13, 2014 at 1:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Shaynas_Mommy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 1:41 PM
What does your school handbook say on attendance policy?
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 13, 2014 at 1:43 PM
I remember they threatened to call cps on my mom when my brother, who was in kindergarten, missed 12 days. He had mono, and pneumonia. And had doctors excuses. He spent 6 days in the hospital.
PoisonEyeV
by _ on Mar. 13, 2014 at 1:44 PM

I don't know what to say. I understand each side of the situation. But if the school's handbook states something about this issue you really can't be too surprised by it.

mom2theA-team
by Gold Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 1:44 PM

In Colorado they can still prosecute you under truancy laws because you chose to enroll them. I don't know what your state laws say. 

mamatink7
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 1:48 PM

thats rediculous. if they were just warning you for next yr (7 and 1st grade), you shouldnt be getting a fine warning. especially since shes not even required to attend kindergarten. even the handbook may just generalize attendence policy, as being part of the school and not specified grades; she should not penalized because not goig to school while sick and possibly spreading sick germs 

Nighttiger
by Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 1:50 PM
I will have to look that up. It's total bs if it's true. I was debating where to enroll my now 4 yo in 2015. This will make me rethink about it. If they can stay caught up and they are excused absences by parents then it shouldn't matter.

Quoting mom2theA-team:

In Colorado they can still prosecute you under truancy laws because you chose to enroll them. I don't know what your state laws say. 

PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 1:50 PM

If she has a valid doctor's note, I doubt that they can do diddly squat.  

littlesippycup
by Ruby Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 1:50 PM

They lose money for days your child isn't in school. They want the money.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 13, 2014 at 1:51 PM
Lmao I would have a can fire on the principals desk. The kindling? That letter.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 13, 2014 at 1:52 PM
My school system gets 85% of my property taxes. They can suck it. Lol

Quoting littlesippycup:

They lose money for days your child isn't in school. They want the money.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)