Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I just found out by my fiancé's mom that kindergarten teachers teach algebra/geometry

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 395 Replies
2 moms liked this
My daughter will not be attending kindergarten next year. I think that is just ridiculous. They don't even tell the parents what they are reaching the children either. So ridiculous.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 13, 2014 at 2:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 13, 2014 at 2:04 PM
39 moms liked this

You do realize that they are not actually teaching them the same algebra/geometry that high school students learn right?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 13, 2014 at 2:06 PM
Yes I do but I still think it is ridiculous that they do not tell the parents what they are teaching their children

Quoting Anonymous:

You do realize that they are not actually teaching them the same algebra/geometry that high school students learn right?

art.diva
by Gold Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 2:08 PM
30 moms liked this

If a child is capable of learning something, why not teach them?  School subjects shouldn't be relegated to certain grade levels. Besides, learning shapes is geometry, and my child does simple algebra in her kindergarten class, as well as graphing.  But its done at their level.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 13, 2014 at 2:10 PM
I really dislike this kinder

Quoting art.diva:

If a child is capable of learning something, why not teach them?  School subjects shouldn't be relegated to certain grade levels. Besides, learning shapes is geometry, and my child does simple algebra in her kindergarten class, as well as graphing.  But its done at their level.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 13, 2014 at 2:12 PM
14 moms liked this
So, you're pissed that your child is getting a jump start on their education? Okay then.
crazymommy30
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 2:12 PM
7 moms liked this

So you are afraid your kid might learn too much? Also, most teachers are perfectly happy to share their lesson plans if you have questions.

art.diva
by Gold Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 2:14 PM
3 moms liked this

Why?  Does education bother you that much?

Quoting Anonymous: I really dislike this kinder
Quoting art.diva:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 13, 2014 at 2:14 PM
I'm really confused as to why you're mad about this. Are you opposed to math or something?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 13, 2014 at 2:14 PM
3 moms liked this

Why though? That is what they would be learning anyways. They are just calling it algebra/geometry and I am sure if you ask the teacher they will tell you what they are learning. I get a packet every Monday that lets me know what my kid will be learning. What do YOU plan on teaching your kinder child next year? 

Quoting Anonymous: I really dislike this kinder
Quoting art.diva:

Lydlou02
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 2:17 PM
75 moms liked this
1+1=__
1+__=2
1+x=2
x=1
Look! Algebra!

circle square triangle, geometry!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN