Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

why do so many believe a college fund is mandatory???

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 260 Replies
6 moms liked this
Jmho, but I personally want my children to WANT college, work for it, earn it. Make it worth something to them.
Not have it handed to them on a silver platter.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 13, 2014 at 11:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 13, 2014 at 11:27 PM
8 moms liked this
Studies show that kids who have to pay for their own get better grades in college.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 13, 2014 at 11:32 PM
3 moms liked this
Quoting Anonymous: Studies show that kids who have to pay for their own get better grades in college.

Yup. They have to want it. And I don't know about studies but when I was in school, the goof offs and failers were the ones who had it paid for by parents or trusts, (not all of course)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 13, 2014 at 11:32 PM
I don't know. I think it's something good to do if you CAN. We are fortunate enough to be able to save some money. We'll be able to atleast pay for community college for all of them.

I had no help, it was loans, grants, and scholarships. I expect my kids to get scholarships. The way I see it, after high school education becomes their choice and responsibility.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 13, 2014 at 11:34 PM
I don't think it's mandatory but I'd like my child to have a chance if college is something he wants to do. If not, uk hands over that money when he buys a house.
polkaspots
by Platinum Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 11:34 PM
I think all parents should help their children save up for college. Not do the saving themselves.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 13, 2014 at 11:34 PM
11 moms liked this

They still have to earn their degree and want it. Nothing silver platter about it. Just look how many kids are strattled with debt now and no way of paying it off.

FelineTopic
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 11:36 PM
4 moms liked this
I don't know...

I have a child in college now...

You can tell the difference between the kids who are paying their own way and the ones whose mom and dad are covering the tab...

The worse roommates my daughter has had have been those who aren't paying their way. Snotty, entitled party animals.
MyNameIs-
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 11:36 PM
1 mom liked this
I think it's a good idea to plan for it if you can afford it. My parents paid for my education. I was able to graduate and not stress about paying off loans. And believe me, I appreciated every cent they gave me and studied my butt off!!

ETA: I also applied for (and got a few) every scholarship I could find!
bellawomen
by Summer on Mar. 13, 2014 at 11:39 PM
7 moms liked this
I don't think raising children stops at 18. I want to set my children up for LIFE not dead end entry level jobs.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Mar. 13, 2014 at 11:40 PM
Because I want to.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)