Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

MIL thinks I should go in my bedroom to breastfeed

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 24 Replies
1 mom liked this
Mil and fil will be visiting from out out next week. MIL called to say that she knows I BF my 5 week old but FIL is uncomfortable with that so when they are here "it would be best" for me to go to my room to do that. I told her that I use a cover when people are here but my baby feeds close to half the time and since we also have a 3 year old, I cant be shut in my room half the day while DH is at work which Is most of the days they will be here (my in laws are the kind of grandparents who if you ask them to watch a kid, they will watch the kid get into everything and not even bother to clean up the mess so asking them to watch her isn't an option). Mil got mad and told me that I am being rude and should be accomidating to FILs feelings. I told her I am, to the best of my abilities accomidating FIL by using a cover but confining me to one room in my home is unreasonable. I also pointed out that when you stay in someone's home, you can't demand that everything is done your way. She called me a bitch and said that if I won't change my mind they aren't coming. DH agrees with me and called his mom to say that he wants to see them but she is going to have to call and apologize to me for calling me a bitch and respect the fact that she can't order me to go to my room in our home. She has not called yet. I am so annoyed with her that I don't care if they come or not at this point. At least I have a wonderful DH who stands up for me.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 14, 2014 at 12:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 14, 2014 at 12:40 AM

BUMP!

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Mar. 14, 2014 at 12:41 AM

MIL & FIL should stay home and not visit. I wouldn't allow them to come even IF she did apologize now

xoch86
by Gold Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 12:42 AM

High five to your hubs!

mandaday
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 12:43 AM

I'm glad your husband has your back on this. Is she always like this?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 14, 2014 at 12:43 AM
Lol yeah I'd be telling them they can choose not to visit if they've got that many hang ups that you can't feed your newborn (covered!!!)in their presence.
I don't care where you stand on the breastfeeding debate, a woman feeding a newborn in her own home and covered at that isn't even debatable. If you have an issue with that, YOU'VE GOT ISSUES. Period.
daisybaby91
by lipstick on Mar. 14, 2014 at 12:44 AM
Do whatever you want. I always went in my room to breast feed because I'm lazy and it was an excuse to lay in bed. But no one but you should decide where you feed your baby
rhiannonaisling
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 12:44 AM
1 mom liked this
You are certainly well within your rights and are absolutely correct that they should not be dictating how you act or what you do in your own home. You also have a wonderful man who stands up for you even to his parents.
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Mar. 14, 2014 at 12:45 AM
1 mom liked this

This same exact issue happens at least once a week on here.......

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 14, 2014 at 12:46 AM
Fil should go in the other room. Your home and family.
MizzDeeDee
by Gold Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 12:47 AM

And I think your MIL should stop telling you how to act or what to do in your own home.

She must be out of her mind.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN