Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm fed up with public school...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 120 Replies
2 moms liked this

I decided to pull both of my children out of public school and homeschooling them. Public school is getting ridiculous due to budget cuts where they take away art and music programs and dumbing our kids down. My 10 year old daughter was in band but they removed band due to budget cuts in her elementary school, my 15 year old son who's in high school well he been failing in school because teachers are too fucking lazy to teach and he worked his butt off trying to get good grades and he even stayed up late to do his homework and study...he was a straight A student, and I've saw some of the work he brought home and looks like they aren't teaching him right. Don't get me started on school lunches, they got worse ever since the budget cut and now they won't let students bring in certain foods like peanut butter and strawberries due to high risk allergies and those are my children's favorite things. I'm so fed up with public school and I should of done it a long time ago, but I decided I'm homeschooling them. I work as maintenance at Walmart, been working there for 15 years, and recently I got approved 3rd shift because I told the store manager I want to request 3rd shift because I can homeschool my children in mornings and afternoons, maybe me resting after I get off work or a few hours before I work now I work at 10pm-7am. My husband decided he bought laptops for both of my children although they both have iPads they got for Christmas last year, laptops are needed so they can do their school work so they don't have to share a computer well my husband bought an Alienware gaming laptop for my son because he loves video games so that way he can study and play computer games, my husband bought a regular laptop for my daughter she don't play games that much but it's a good laptop so she can watch videos smoothly. My husband makes way more than I do since he's an ob/gyn and he told me that he may get a private tutor for the children although I'll do most of the homeschooling. We were going to send them to private school, but it's too much money and hiring a private tutor for extra help while me homeschooling my children is cheaper. They both can stay up late if they want to now haha. As for field trips, we can go to fun places like Chuck-E-Cheese's, the park, museums and also since we live in Orlando, Florida I can take my children to theme parks like Disney World and Universal Studios we get discounts since we're Florida residents. My daughter said she will stay in Girls Scout so she can be with her friends and my son goes to anime/comic conventions quite a bit so he can talk to people while he dresses up.  I won't ever send my children to public schools again unless the board of eduation gets their shit straight. So...does your children goes to public school, private school, or they are homeschooled? I'm not counting those who already graduated high school, only those who hasn't graduate high school yet.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:24 AM
28 moms liked this
I hope you farm them out for their English lesson.
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this
My oldest is in public school (11th grade) and my younger kids are homeschooled. We hs the oldest for one year and he couldn't handle the transition & was miserable. The younger kids love it, but it's all they know.

I would suggest not getting too caught up on the details of what you think they might need (lap top vs tablet). It takes a while to figure out a method that will work for all of you. Don't be afraid to switch it up if you're doing something that's not working.

There are a couple of really great hs groups here. Join them...the women are awesome and give really great advice
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:25 AM
Oh dear... What part of Florida? Orange County?
Peytonsmom6308
by Gold Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:26 AM
23 moms liked this
I want to take a red pen to this post so badly.
3JuJu3
by Platinum Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:27 AM
2 moms liked this

My kids go to private school right now.  I do supplemental lessons with them at home. 

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:27 AM
1 mom liked this
Excuses much?

Get involved in the school our district has NONE of these problems.. because, gasp, parents step up, speak up, get involved, go to board meetings and make changes!
KendallsMommee
by Spoiled SAHM on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:27 AM
DD is in first grade at a public school.

So far, so good.
belindah
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Mine our in public school, for the time being,  We will be homeschooling when they get older.  We want them to socialize a little more, right now.

SitaStJames
by *Sita* on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:28 AM
You're going to need to get them on a normal schedule/routine and join some homeschooling groups in your area. And make sure your kids are in some kind of activity so they can be around others that are close to their age.
kcangel63
by Freebirther on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this
Good luck! We've been homeschooling from day 1. My oldest is almost 16. It can be challenging, but it is also so much fun. :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)