Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I need to give my son drugs. **ETA age and number of doses**

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 8:20 PM
  • 28 Replies

Drugs being Tamiflu.

He was exposed to the flu by myself (I was hospitalized for 3 days due to flu complications and asthma and a lung infection) and for the first 2 doses he did very well in taking the liquid tamiflu.  Now, he is gagging every time we give it to him.  We will get about half the dose into him and he will throw it up.  And he will attempt to get away before we give him the rest.  He's three and has to take two teaspoons twice a day

He has to take it until Monday morning.  Any ideas on how to get medicine down?

by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 8:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Snakecharm
by Platinum Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 8:23 PM
How old?

Maybe give him 1/3, let him eat a little snack (cracker, Cheerios) another 1/3, stop and take a bite, then finish and finish the treat.
SapphireMomma
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 8:23 PM

*bump

Medicine o clock is coming up.

SapphireMomma
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 8:26 PM

Quoting Snakecharm: How old? Maybe give him 1/3, let him eat a little snack (cracker, Cheerios) another 1/3, stop and take a bite, then finish and finish the treat.

That sounds a little more reasonable than what we are doing now.  When he finishes he gets a cookie.  The medicine is not the greatest tasting, so a "palette" cleanser is kinda needed.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 14, 2014 at 8:27 PM
Is there anything he really likes? I used to bribe my son to take his medicine with his gummy vitamins. I would show him the gummy and then tell him medicine first. He'd take it then he'd get the gummy.
anewlynn
by Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 8:28 PM

My daughter (almost 4) will pretend like she drinks it and then spit it out.  Ask your pharmacist if you can mix it with orange juice or apple juice.  That is how I get her to take 90% of her medicines (when she has to take them).  Just make sure you only give him about 3-4 oz of juice so her drinks all the medicine. :-)  Good luck...it is frustrating!

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 8:30 PM
Take it to the pharmacy, they have flavor they can add to it

My ds projectile vomited that stuff across our kitchen
SapphireMomma
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Quoting Anonymous: Is there anything he really likes? I used to bribe my son to take his medicine with his gummy vitamins. I would show him the gummy and then tell him medicine first. He'd take it then he'd get the gummy.

He gets a cookie once he completes the medicine, but my issue is more of him throwing up, or nearly throwing up during getting the medicine.

SapphireMomma
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Quoting peanutsmommy1: Take it to the pharmacy, they have flavor they can add to it My ds projectile vomited that stuff across our kitchen

They can still add flavoring?!?  *runs to Walmart*

This stuff is terrible.  I don't blame him for not wanting to choke it down, but I feel like the world's worst mom when I have to shove the little medicine dropper nearly down his throat.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 14, 2014 at 8:35 PM
Is he throwing it up because of the flavor?

If so, can the medicine be mixed with anything? We used to put a drop of MIO drink mix in his medicine to flavor it.

DS is autistic and we had to experiment for almost 2 weeks before we found a way to give him his medicine. That was one way. We finally have got to the point where he takes it with no fight.

Quoting SapphireMomma:

Quoting Anonymous: Is there anything he really likes? I used to bribe my son to take his medicine with his gummy vitamins. I would show him the gummy and then tell him medicine first. He'd take it then he'd get the gummy.

He gets a cookie once he completes the medicine, but my issue is more of him throwing up, or nearly throwing up during getting the medicine.

SapphireMomma
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 8:36 PM

Quoting anewlynn:

My daughter (almost 4) will pretend like she drinks it and then spit it out.  Ask your pharmacist if you can mix it with orange juice or apple juice.  That is how I get her to take 90% of her medicines (when she has to take them).  Just make sure you only give him about 3-4 oz of juice so her drinks all the medicine. :-)  Good luck...it is frustrating!

He's usually very good at taking medicine, he does much better with chewies than liquid though.  He doesn't drink juice at all, but I will see if I can take it with milk?  Although the medcine now tastes like very bitter buttermilk.... bleh.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN