Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My sister wants me to take care of her son and feed him this crap every night?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 68 Replies
My sister has had her hours cut back at work. She had savings before but they're dwindling and there's no better job or more hours on the horizon. She can barely afford daycare now.

I offered to babysit her son until she can work something better out. At first she was appreciative, they suddenly started demanding I change up my routine for him. For example, my kids and I walk home from school every day. It takes 20 minutes, and they're active and playing the whole time. So, when we get home, the rule is homework right away, then you have all night to have fun. She wants me to let him play video games for half an hour because he needs to "blow off steam"? No. My son is the same age as him and is going to be beyond jealous if that goes down. She also requested that I drive I pick him up if it's colder than 50 out. I don't think so.

Today, she told me she'd be dropping off all "his food". I asked what she meant and said I'd prefer she just give me 15-20 dollars for the extra food, and she said it was the stuff "he'll eat". I called her and asked what she meant. What he'll eat? Chicken nuggets, mac and cheese, frozen pizza, canned pasta, frozen burgers and hotdogs, pop tarts, and he'll "probably" eat it if I make cheese quesadillas.

I want to rescind my offer now. I'm not making an entire other meal every night. I'm not going to sit there and encourage my kids to try new things and make healthy choices while I'm serving their cousin junk food. I told my sister I'd call her back to talk, and I just want to say this isn't going to work out.

Any advice?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 14, 2014 at 9:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 14, 2014 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this

troll fail

gwebkeijmmm
by Ruby Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 9:17 PM
3 moms liked this
Say no. He'll follow your schedule and eat what you eat. Simple as that.
ff-princess
by Ruby Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 9:19 PM
1 mom liked this

say it, and say it now so she knows she needs to make alternate arrangements.  otherwise someone's going to end up resentful.

DanaG70
by Platinum Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 9:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Just tell her you don't want her food, to keep it at her house and you'll feed him what your family eats, and let her know you will not change your schedule for him, he can play video games when the other kids get to.

If she doesn't like it, she can find somebody else to watch her kid.

TheSilence
by Tá mé an mó on Mar. 14, 2014 at 9:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Nope, he follows your schedule and eats what you cook or she finds another babysitter.
boys2men2soon
by Gold Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 9:20 PM

Tell her you are happy to watch him, but on your terms.   You are doing her the favor.   I find it sad that you don't seem to know your nephew very well.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 14, 2014 at 9:20 PM
2 moms liked this
Wtf. Everything is not a troll post.

Quoting Anonymous:

troll fail

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 14, 2014 at 9:21 PM
You could adjust his eating habits without making a big deal out of it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 14, 2014 at 9:21 PM

this one is, too many of the bad foods listed....lmao

Quoting Anonymous: Wtf. Everything is not a troll post.
Quoting Anonymous:

troll fail

mrsrodgers0703
by Ruby Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 9:21 PM
What do you mean she doesn't know her nephew very well?

Quoting boys2men2soon:

Tell her you are happy to watch him, but on your terms.   You are doing her the favor.   I find it sad that you don't seem to know your nephew very well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN