Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What would you do, 2 year old?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies
Dh and I grew up with screaming parents. Screaming to get results or attention was normal in our houses. I still have hearing issues from my mom screaming mere inches from my ear for whatever reason. Now that ds is 2 he is developing his own way of listening, or lack thereof. The past 2 weeks I've noticed us yelling at him to get him to listen. (Not to the extent of making his ears ring) but still it's unhealthy. We try speaking softly and asking which at some point turns to yelling and him listening but only out of being afraid. I am not okay with this at all, I can not stress how much this breaks my heart. So we decided to try a different method And so far it was good until bed time. He normally falls asleep in our bed and we put him in his bed when he falls asleep. Tonight a 8 he was laid down tucked in and read to. After several good nights, lay down, sleepy times and tuck ins it's 1030 and still awake, wriggling and plain out not sleeping. I felt myself getting irritated so I picked him up and took him to bed gave him kisses and left. Now I'm listening to him cry, first he was crying hard now it's barely there. I feel bad and don't even know if that was the right way to do it. :(
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 14, 2014 at 10:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mak33012
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 10:51 PM
1 mom liked this
All of this is going to take time. You recognize the problem and are taking steps to correct your behavior. Give yourself credit for that. Look into different techniques to calm yourselves down and keep at it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 14, 2014 at 10:56 PM
Thank you for that. Right now he is whimpering for me, I want to scoop him up but I realize how counterproductive that is. So I'm sitting by the baby monitor listening

Quoting Mak33012: All of this is going to take time. You recognize the problem and are taking steps to correct your behavior. Give yourself credit for that. Look into different techniques to calm yourselves down and keep at it.
ICPclwnLOV
by Gold Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:05 PM

I've heard whispering to them to get your point across works. I haven't had to try it. For my kids, getting down to their level and changing the tone of my voice has worked. Even the dog knows when she is pushing her luck. lol. Good luck with whatever you try!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:21 PM
Bump
destiny3513
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:27 PM
Quoting Anonymous: Thank you for that. Right now he is whimpering for me, I want to scoop him up but I realize how counterproductive that is. So I'm sitting by the baby monitor listening

Quoting Mak33012: All of this is going to take time. You recognize the problem and are taking steps to correct your behavior. Give yourself credit for that. Look into different techniques to calm yourselves down and keep at it.
this sleep training technique is as bad as yelling... I too struggle with controlling my emotions, but I never let my son cry for more than a minute. Get him, hug him, he NEEDS you. He can't sleep because he wants to be near you and feel safe. Mine had a bad night too but after extra cuddles and kisses he's fast asleep.
1TallMamaCA
by Gold Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:29 PM
Go earlier, if you know he's going to fight for two hour put him in bed at six, he will be asleep by eight. Eventuallu his body will train to this.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:30 PM
Bump for replies.

I need alternatives to yelling.
destiny3513
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:32 PM
http://parentingsquad.com/37-alternatives-to-yelling-at-your-kids
opinionatedmom
by Platinum Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:32 PM
Check his ears.
jjchick75
by Gold Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:39 PM
Get down on his level, make sure he is looking in your eyes, and have him repeat what you said. Reward him for listening. If you feel yourself getting angry step away and give yourself a minute to calm down.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)