Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Homeschooling isn't for everyone but...

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 11:47 AM
  • 36 Replies
2 moms liked this

I am so glad I decided to start homeschooling my 6 year old!

Some of you know that I have 5 children. 3 are school aged. They have attended public school since pre-k. Well, as of the second quarter of this year I started homeschooling my 6 year old. I made that decision for a number of reasons. First, she was in first grade and reading at a Kindergarten level. Her teacher had a large class and due to common core, couldn't take the time to slow down for the kids who weren't getting it (there was more than just my daughter). My daughter was also being bullied. She has speech issues and that made her a target. The last straw was when one of her classmates older siblings elbowed her in the chest and called her an expletive.

So I decided to homeschool. We've been at it for 2 months now. In that 2 months she has completed the Kindergarten language arts curriculum. She can also now read 42 first grade high frequency words. She has always tested a bit ahead in math (75th percentile) so we are just cruising through her math topics.

She is working so hard at home. I couldn't be more proud. I honestly knew she had it in her and I don't fault the teacher for not being able to spend more one on one time with her but look at what she can do when given just a little push!

Next year common core will be integrated into all elementary classrooms. I'm one of those who is not a fan of that transition. Next year my 8 and 10 year old's will also be homeschooled. I can only hope they do as well as my 6 year is doing :-)

by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 11:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bleumonster
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 11:50 AM
3 moms liked this
I can see why you decided to homeschool and I'm glad its working out for you! I would end up in jail for tying my kids up lol.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 15, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Jessy613
by Diamond Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 11:52 AM

glad its working for you!!

Mweddle
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 11:52 AM

I also started homeschooling my 6 year old daughter this year for reasons similar but with a dash of ADHD added in and the teacher not being able to handle it in a professional way.  She has also done very well and there is NO WAY I will be sending her back.  I am thinking about taking my other kids out as well.  Never thought I'd homeschool but here I am.  What curriculum are you using?

mom2many747
by Momma Duck on Mar. 15, 2014 at 12:10 PM

I am honestly a little nervous about homeschooling all 3 (especially with what will be 2 toddlers at home next year) but I know it's for the best. 

I'm not using any specific curriculum right now. I've created one myself that caters to my daughter's strengths while improving the areas she's behind in. 

For her reading I'm using Basal reading instruction. It's a scientifically-based reading program that focuses heavily on phonemic awaresness, decoding, vocabulary, fluency, and comprehension. I didn't buy any program but rather, designed one around this type of instruction. Because she was so far behind in her language arts, what i do with her is very heavy on the reading. 

For her math I have really just kept up with what they are currently teaching in first grade. She's managed to get a bit ahead of the school but I'm following the same curriculum.

Right now in social studies we are mostly working on current events and our particular state.

I don't have a set curriculum for Science, Art, Music, Engineering, or PE. We do some sort of craft, engineering project,  or music lesson on alternating days. She has PE time every day. Sometimes it's structured, sometimes not. As for science, she learns every day. I let her have control of that. When it's time for Science I ask her what she's interested in that day. I've been teaching her how to research topics on her laptop and we do things like go to the local aquarium or collect samples of different waters in the area to compare organsims. Science is really just a fun time for her to explore the world. 

What about you? Are you using a specific curriculcum?

Quoting Mweddle:

I also started homeschooling my 6 year old daughter this year for reasons similar but with a dash of ADHD added in and the teacher not being able to handle it in a professional way.  She has also done very well and there is NO WAY I will be sending her back.  I am thinking about taking my other kids out as well.  Never thought I'd homeschool but here I am.  What curriculum are you using?

Sparklepants747
by Queen Annie on Mar. 15, 2014 at 12:12 PM

It really seems to work for some families, but I think the requirements should be more strict. I'm glad your little one is succeeding! :) 

mom2many747
by Momma Duck on Mar. 15, 2014 at 12:15 PM

lol I was worried at first too. Trust me...I did not make this decision lightly!

My biggest concern was being able to keep up with her studies while taking care of an infant and toddler. I've managed to get it worked out without sitting any of them in front of the TV all day lol

I put my almost 2 year old at the table with us. I go back and forth between my sone and daughter. My daughter works on her curriculum while my son is on abcmouse. I've kind of made it a school day for both. My 5 month old still sleeps a large portion of the day but when she's up she'll usually be playing right by me or sitting with me (in my lap). So far it's working out. I can only hope that next year I'll be able to manage with all 5 at home lol

Quoting bleumonster: I can see why you decided to homeschool and I'm glad its working out for you! I would end up in jail for tying my kids up lol.

Browncoat4eva
by Mackenzie on Mar. 15, 2014 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this

That's great!

We started homeschooling when dd was 8 because school wasn't working out for her (she's 24 now); my other kids never went to school. Turned out to be a great decision for our family. 

Peace, and all that jazz...

~Mackenzie 

a Browncoat4eva 

...I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch me soar...

mom2many747
by Momma Duck on Mar. 15, 2014 at 12:17 PM

Oh, I couldn't agree more. I honestly think (in order to avoid failure) the district should monitor progress more closely (they only require a teacher to go over a portfolio at the end of the year here). I also think the parent should have prove they have the ability to teach the curriculum. That could be through testing or by having a degree...something. I think some families homeschool but don't have the ability to teach so nothing gets done. That's a sad situation for the student that is supposed to be learning.

Quoting Sparklepants747:

It really seems to work for some families, but I think the requirements should be more strict. I'm glad your little one is succeeding! :) 

Sparklepants747
by Queen Annie on Mar. 15, 2014 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this

You're spot on, lady. The moms that homeschool well tend to have children that excel, and the ones who don't might be slipping through the cracks due to the lax requirements, and that's a scary thought as homeschooling becomes more and more common. I loved reading about your curriculum, you seem well informed and very capable! Your kiddo is adorable. 

Quoting mom2many747:

Oh, I couldn't agree more. I honestly think (in order to avoid failure) the district should monitor progress more closely (they only require a teacher to go over a portfolio at the end of the year here). I also think the parent should have prove they have the ability to teach the curriculum. That could be through testing or by having a degree...something. I think some families homeschool but don't have the ability to teach so nothing gets done. That's a sad situation for the student that is supposed to be learning.

Quoting Sparklepants747:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN