Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Degree vs certificate

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 12:35 PM
  • 28 Replies

Does anyone else here gets upset when people say they are getting an education but in reality they are getting some sort of training? I struggled to go to college and finish at a good university and it bugs me when people brag about getting an "education"  but to me a 6 month training program is for a certificate not education. 

by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 12:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hanab818
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 12:36 PM
Nope. They can call it whatever they want. It makes no difference to me.
cali_gurl
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 12:38 PM
3 moms liked this

Education is education. If you are learning for 6 months you are getting an education. People should be proud of their hard work. Getting a certificate or job training is also hard work. If it gets them a good job, that is great. Don't get upset over dumb things and don't be a snob. And this comes from a person who has a master's degree from a good college.

dominatrix250
by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 12:47 PM

I attended a trade school and took cosmetology. I never took the state exam to be a cosmetologist. I eventually started college for accounting and had an injury that forced me to quit college. 9 years later, I am going back to college to study the brain and how it functions. I believe that obtaining a certificate is an education that can help someone get a job in that specific area. A certificate and degree are NOT the same thing. I learned much more in the 2 years I was in college than I did in the 2 years of trade school.

dizzy91
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 12:47 PM

Doesn't bother me. A certificate is often the step before getting a degree from a community college. A lot of the courses they take are required for the degree, and you can get a certificate the second you complete those classes. Then, you can continue going towards the degree. 

Some fields don't require a full degree. Some only require a certificate. I don't think a barber needs 2+ years of math and English to cut hair. Yet, it's nice when a person like that has the education and training to know how to keep things clean, sterile, and how to cut properly. 

Also, for some people, a certificate is a huge deal. For my dad, a man who barely graduated high school, got addicted to meth, had a horrible life for years...his certificate he's completing next semester is a HUGE deal. He's almost 53, and he has no schooling past high school. He's so excited to get his certificate, and it's been a struggle for him. He still plans on continuing to get an associates degree, but this is a big step for him.

I'm proud of him for doing that. Actually, I'm proud when ANYONE puts in the time and effort to get ANY form of post-high school education. Even if it's just a little bit at a time, it's better than nothing. It's a step in the right direction.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 15, 2014 at 12:49 PM
I've done both and my certification was harder. It was like cramming 4 years into 1 year. College is so much easier.
SamiJ18
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 12:51 PM
I personally think it's great. We need an educated workforce. Some jobs don't require degrees but, SOMEONE has to do them. Their certificate doesn't invalidate my own education and who is to say they didn't work as hard as you or me? We all have our own challenges.
FoxFire363
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 12:55 PM
Education relates to the acquisition of knowledge. Are they acquiring knowledge? Yes. Therefore they are receiving some form of education. Education comes in a variety of forms including but not limited to: traditional university schooling, trade school, primary and secondary school, reading nonfiction books and just plain trial and error. All of these methods can yield the acquisition of knowledge.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Mar. 15, 2014 at 12:57 PM
Doesn't bother me really. My little sister only has a certificate and she does just fine.
Jessy613
by Diamond Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 12:57 PM
Quoting Hanab818: Nope. They can call it whatever they want. It makes no difference to me.
Sparklepants747
by Queen Annie on Mar. 15, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Agreed, though it doesn't bother me unless they're being rude about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN