Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Degree vs certificate

Posted by   + Show Post

Does anyone else here gets upset when people say they are getting an education but in reality they are getting some sort of training? I struggled to go to college and finish at a good university and it bugs me when people brag about getting an "education"  but to me a 6 month training program is for a certificate not education. 

by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 12:35 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:01 PM

Doesn't really bother me.  I have both a bachelor's degree and a certificate earned through the University of Pittsburgh.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:03 PM
My best friend went to college for a certificate, still stuck with students loans and she got herself a fantastic job with said certificate.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:05 PM

Do you understand what education means? 

lyranightshade
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:06 PM
If I could, I'd trade my years at an accredited private liberal arts college for an 18 month certificate for surgical tech. I'd have taken less time to make lots of money and next to nothing for student loans.
In short, no, it doesn't bunch my panties. Lol
TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:08 PM

Eh...doesn't bother me.  I know that I have actual degrees, so why should I care that someone needs to maximize the importance of his/her training, so long as they get a good job with it.  C'est La Vie.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:09 PM

My husbands certificates are far more valuable than his degree. The also cost considerably less and he must re-certify every 2 years. It is a very smart way to obtain an education.

Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:09 PM
I have my diploma which is 2 years, but I'm getting my degree. My university doesn't have certificate programs.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:11 PM

It is an education.

No one cares where you went to school but you.

Get off your high horse.

mewebb82
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:13 PM

In either case, I just think it is great that they are doing something to better themselves. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:17 PM

It is education. The result of the education is a degree, diploma or a certificate.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)