Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Degree vs certificate

Posted by   + Show Post

Does anyone else here gets upset when people say they are getting an education but in reality they are getting some sort of training? I struggled to go to college and finish at a good university and it bugs me when people brag about getting an "education"  but to me a 6 month training program is for a certificate not education. 

by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 12:35 PM
Replies (21-28):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:19 PM
I went for two years and got both a degree and certificate. It doesn't bother me, they are getting an education.
AnnieGoolaheey
by Mrs. Annie Proffitt on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:20 PM

No, I don't worry about petty stuff like that.

Nutball3
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:22 PM
Eduacation doesn't specifically mean a degree. I did medical transcription, took a&p courses and have a certification (that I don't use lol). Does not mean I am not educated in that.

Isn't there something more important for you to get your panties in a wad over?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:23 PM

It makes no difference to me.  It is still education and the person is learning.  If it helps them land a job and get off welfare then that's a good thing.  Keep in mind in my area a person with a computer programming certificate, will not make nearly as much money and be available for job advance than someone with a college computer programming degree, and someone with a college computer programming degree will not make nearly as much money as someone with  university computer programming degree.  I'm not saying this is the same everywhere, I'm just talking about the area where I live.

jellybeanjean
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:23 PM

No. It doesn't bug me. There are different types and different levels of education. A certificate is still education. Even a freaking 2 day seminar is still education. Geez.....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:25 PM
I hate to break it to you, but in some fields certifications hold more weight than college education. DH has a masters degree, but potential employers didn't take him seriously 'till he got the appropriate certification for the job he was looking for.
Raeann11
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:29 PM

Nope, because were were getting and education in what they were going to school for.

thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:30 PM
It's an education they are right.

What bothers me is the ones that go I'm getting a degree! When it's just a certificate.

Or calling trade school college.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN