Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

disrespectful little brat

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:51 PM
  • 34 Replies
How do I get it through my dds head that it is NOT ok to waste food? She will tell me she wants a banana or an orange or an apple. She takes 3 bites and decides she isdone.

She is 5.

Open to any suggestions because I am about to start force feeding her the stuff.

(She will also try this with dinner. She wants something new after 10 minutes. But she won't eat what she had.)
by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cinnamonkiti
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:56 PM
4 moms liked this

What you serve is what she gets, period. If she doesn't eat it then, she can eat it the next time she says she is hungry. If it is a banana or an apple that bruises or browns, too bad, she still has to eat it, if she doesn't like the taste, remind her that it tasted a lot better when she had it fresh, and the only way to eat it fresh is to eat it when it is served to her in the first place.

As to dinners, what we do with my 9 year old daughter is tell her that if she doesn't finish her food at the table by the time everyone else is done with dinner, her dinner will be put away to eat the next night. If she finishes it the next night, and is still hungry, then she can be served whatever the rest of the family is having.

Amybelle
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:58 PM
3 moms liked this

give her a smaller portion

frankiesma530
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:58 PM

I'd make her sit until it was finished for something like that.

ajdahd13
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:58 PM
I don't know. I'm going through the same thing with my DD who will be three in June. So bump.
Hubris_Huntsman
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:58 PM
3 moms liked this
Give her 1/4 apple or 1/4 banana. If she wants more give her another 1/4.
susan_marie
by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 2:00 PM

My dd was doing the same thing, so I started offering smaller portions.  I'm okay with her having small healthy snacks throughout the day and then having small meals.  Thats how my eating habbits are too. 

abrine7673
by Awesome Possum on Mar. 15, 2014 at 2:00 PM
But then I'm still throwing away 3/4 of it.

Quoting Hubris_Huntsman: Give her 1/4 apple or 1/4 banana. If she wants more give her another 1/4.
armywifey1983
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Smaller portions would help. She may truly want what she asks for, but not the entire thing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 15, 2014 at 2:01 PM

What she gets is what she eats. If she doesn't eat it all, save it for later. Don't take her crap! YOU are the parent. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 15, 2014 at 2:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Plastic baggies/ tupperware will be your best friend.

Quoting abrine7673: But then I'm still throwing away 3/4 of it.
Quoting Hubris_Huntsman: Give her 1/4 apple or 1/4 banana. If she wants more give her another 1/4.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)