Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

When I Was In High School.....(Game)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 54 Replies

How have things changed since you were in high school?

Then: Girls swooned over NSYNC and Backstreet Boys

Today: Girls go gaga over British boy bands like One Direction

Then: Teens read their own magazines like Seventeen, Teen, and YM. They also had their own websites like Kiwibox and Bolt

Today: Teens shun traditional magazines and teen-oriented media for social networks such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Snapchat

Then: Teen girls loved to wear long glamorous gowns to prom and homecoming dances

Today: Teens either make their own dresses or wear club clothes to prom

Then: Teenagers watched cool dramas like My So-Called Life and Dawson's Creek. Most every girl wanted to be like Angela Chase or Joey Potter. 

Today: Teens want to star on television. Girls can get pregnant in hopes of becoming the next Farrah Abraham or Jenelle Evans

Then: Teens would send weekend and summer vacations at the mall. You could find them at Sam Goody's buying the latest CDs or at Claire's getting their ears pierced.

Today: No mall for today's teen even though 90 percent of mall stores cater exclusively to their demographic. Today's teens shop online using YouTube fashion bloggers and celebrities as style icons.

What has changed since you were a teenager? If you are a parent of a teen, what generational differences do you notice most?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 15, 2014 at 8:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
imakehimscream
by He screams on Mar. 15, 2014 at 8:19 PM
4 moms liked this
I still swoon over bsb
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 15, 2014 at 8:20 PM

bumpppalo

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 15, 2014 at 8:23 PM
3 moms liked this
Oh hell.....we didn't get a mall until I was a Sophomore in high school. No internet, no cell phones, no cable...there weren't CD's either....but we did have vinyl records and cassette tapes. I graduated from high school in 1985!
Pink.Sunshine.
by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 8:24 PM
1 mom liked this

1. No one had a cell phone.

2. Only rich people had computers in their homes.

3. Digital cable tv didn't exist and only the well-to-do had Cable in their homes.

pinkfairy0206
by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 8:24 PM
My shows I loved then were 7th heaven and Buffy the vampire slayer. Never got into Dawson's creek. During the summer as a teen I hung out with friends, got into sports. Also worked with horses and took lessons. Literally following summer I started down the wrong path and started doing drugs, drinking and smoking...thank God I got out of that.
TheFairest
by Zombie on Mar. 15, 2014 at 8:25 PM
I was a 90's teen too!
TheFairest
by Zombie on Mar. 15, 2014 at 8:25 PM
2 moms liked this
Max Evans stole my heart
crumpy_gat
by No. on Mar. 15, 2014 at 8:25 PM
#Selfie
armywifey1983
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 8:28 PM

It was 'cool' to hang out at the Walmart until it closed (midnight) because it was open the latest. Some crowds would either get hammered or high, and go to Bickfords (kind of like Denny's) at 2am. Celine Dion was HUGE, rap wasn't quite 'in' yet, and Leonardo DiCaprio was a screen god (depending on who you asked). I graduated a million years ago (or so it seems! lol). 2001

deboramomof2
by 💋sweetcandy💋 on Mar. 15, 2014 at 8:30 PM
Everything back than was better than it is now lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)