Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

It's considered child abuse. Do you abuse your children ?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
The helicopter game.
You know, the one where you hold the child's hands and swing them around a few times...

Hospitals consider that child abuse because of the amount of dislocated elbows, shoulders and other injuries they see each week from it.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 16, 2014 at 5:07 PM
Replies (51-60):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Mar. 16, 2014 at 5:20 PM

Hospitals can not consider it abuse when legally it is NOT abuse.

Yup I use to swing my kids, they loved it.  I tossed them in the air too, should that be considered abuse?

Grnyann65
by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 5:20 PM

I guess I did abuse all of my children. Funny....they liked it. :/

Caidysmom
by MindyM on Mar. 16, 2014 at 5:20 PM
No. My kids wouldn't be able to tolerate it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Mar. 16, 2014 at 5:20 PM
Lol.. yes. ..but. carefully. We have a rare connective tissue disorder that actually causes us to dislocate very easily. My dad dislocated my shoulders like that and it scared the shit out of him when i just put them back.
Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 5:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I swing them by their hair. No worries about dislocated joints that way.

U-R-Beautiful
by Ring around the Rozy on Mar. 16, 2014 at 5:21 PM
I do.no dislocation s.

I use to do it when I was little. No dislocations. Seriously. You can get hurt jump roping. Freakin' hot peppers.
Abbysmom1215
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 5:21 PM
Dd3's elbow has been dislocated three times. Apparently some kid's are more prone to them. Dr at the er showed me how to pop it back in place. Not once did they treat me like I was abusing my child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
achorney
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 5:21 PM
I have arthritis in my elbow. It's all I could do to carry my kid.

We didn't play.
SleuthMaria
by Gold Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Nope, we don't do that. I found out when my oldest was 2 just how easy it is to dislocate an elbow & we don't do anything that would increase the chances of it happening again (we don't do the each hold child's hand & swing child between you, either). If you're wondering, when my oldest was born, we lived in a 3rd floor walkup (moved to a house a little over 2 1/2 years later). Anyway, when my oldest was 2 1/2, we were walking up the stairs & I was holding his hand. He slipped & fell & I instinctually held tighter to his hand b/c I was scared of tragedy if he fell down the concrete stairs. He seemed ok, but a few hours later we noticed that he was avoiding using that arm & took him to the hospital to get checked out (Dr's office was closed & nurseline said to take him to the ER). They told me it was "Nursemaid's elbow" & how easiy it was to accidentally dislocate a child's shoulder or elbow. I felt horribly guilty, but she told me I did the right thing & that they'd rather see him come in with a dislocated elbow, than with head injuries, broken bones, or worse. We started looking for a house the next day.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Mar. 16, 2014 at 5:22 PM
No. That's stupid and asking for injury considering the physics involved.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)