Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Car seats DONT belong on shopping carts- What happened to us

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 95 Replies

Car seats do not belong on shopping carts. Theres signs on the carts where I live and people still do it. I will admit I use to do this but when I did they didnt have signs on the carts where I lived and I was a new mom and saw other moms doing it so I thought it was ok. One day when I did this the seat was "latched" on but when i left the store i went over a speed bump with the shopping cart and it barely wiggled the cart enough to make it where the car seat started to fall off. I was lucky enough to be able to save my child from falling but someone else might not be so lucky. Im only writing this to help other parents who might do this. I want to say something when I see people doing it but I dont because either 1 people think its ok do or 2 they get defensive that you're questioning their parenting.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:18 AM
1 mom liked this
I always put the carseat in the top part and my kids are both fine.
polkaspots
by Ruby Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:18 AM
I either put the car seat in the shopping cart or on top of the stroller. It's safer those ways.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Halfdeafmommy
by Pure Honesty on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:19 AM
3 moms liked this

I baby wear, no car seat or worrying about him falling!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:20 AM
So I push the cart while carrying an infant b in a seat? Hmm
LCJan21
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:21 AM
I'm very cautious about this when my son was in a carrier. The majority of shopping cart seats are not "designed" for car seats. I put my son on one once, and he was tilted at such an awkward angle that I never did it again.
Presley77
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:21 AM
It ruins the latching mechanism on the seat making it possibly dangerous in an accident. It's a bad idea to do that yet I see it all the time. You are not supposed to do that. I also once saw a seat topple off the cart. It just kills me people don't know this.
HaYouFail
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:22 AM

Yeah, that is dangerous as fuck.  I was in Target one day and an infant was in his infant seat on top of the cart.  The seat some how came lose, fell off and hit the floor.  The baby was buckled in but was still hurt.

Megs5384
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:24 AM

I always put my kid's infant seat on the top part, but I would use the cart straps to secure it. Mine had a bar on the bottom that I was able to loop it through and then tighten it down. It kept really secure that way. I always wiggled it and pulled on it before we started shopping to make sure. And I always had them buckled in with the actual car seat straps.

ETA: They are 11 and 6 now, so they survived just fine. Just wanted to throw that out there. lol

TableforSeven
by Ruby Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:25 AM

I always put the infant carrier part of the carseat sideways in the top/seat part of the cart....the latching system didn't seem like it would fit right and the seat plopped down just fine.  If I was only picking up a few things- I would put the seat in the main part of the cart.....but if I needed that space, the seat went in the top.  I always kept a hand on the seat and my kids were all just fine.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:27 AM

This happened when I was a single mom and after this accident almost happened I started pushing my son in his stroller and I carried a hand held shopping basket around and trust me it was a pain in the ass. If i had to make a large shopping trip I either had someone come with or I found a babysitter. My childs safety comes first and I did whatever it took to not put my kid on the top of a shopping cart. Theres other ways around it. If your child got seriously injured you wouldnt be saying the same thing.

Quoting Anonymous: So I push the cart while carrying an infant b in a seat? Hmm

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN