Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Lego organizational help!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies
Ds has a crap ton of Lego's. Some are done up, others are either half way done or broken but still usable (like the huge plane- it's broken in half but he uses it as a plane crash)... others are tiny (cars, buildings, etc)... others are just the normal blocks that aren't really connected to anything.

Anyways. It's taken over the entire room. I had a half bookcase dedicated to his Lego's- plus a Lego table... they don't fit in there anyhow. I put shelves in his room- over grown from that.

WHAT can I do too make it easier? There's no space to buy anything else. But this is just too much.

Thing is, he plays with them all too, plus he gets more at least once a month (sometimes it's just people, other times it's full sets)
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:24 AM
http://swoopbags.com
yo_ho
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:25 AM

Does he want to break some down to make new creations? My DS normally builds then destroys later to make his own creations, so his legos are in a bunch of storage cubies. But they still dominate his room =(

Bleacher-mom
by Gold Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:26 AM
DS has a huge tackle box that has a lot of his Lego's. He's able to organize most of them. For the ones that are in a set and put together, those go on shelves.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:27 AM

http://redtri.com/ways-to-organize-your-legos/

gcstar42
by Gold Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:27 AM
My son builds things, plays with them a few days and then destroys them and builds something else. He saves the instruction books so if he wants to build something again he can. He also just makes up a lot of his own things to build. I have never heard of anyone leaving everything they build all put together, lol, so I don't really have any advice on how to deal with that. If it were me I would make him choose a few to keep together and take the rest apart and store them in some type of bin.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:28 AM

http://www.pinterest.com/shelleywirtz/lego-organization-a-sight-to-be-seen/

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:28 AM
Nope. Once they get set up how it's supposed to be, it's rarely broken down by him. Only time it was, was when I'd put them in a container and they'd break. :-( which tore him up.... so I got the bookcase... but I'm so sick of them being everywhere in the room. I can clean every part but that. It's like a Lego monster threw up.

Quoting yo_ho:

Does he want to break some down to make new creations? My DS normally builds then destroys later to make his own creations, so his legos are in a bunch of storage cubies. But they still dominate his room =(

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:35 AM
I might try that after we finish our story... but literally, every time he plays with them, he uses ALL of them. 8 cars, 3 planes, boats, the ninja turtle things, the airport things, fire trucks, ambulances, etc. It's like a never ending story- I think we're on chapter 15. Lol (we act it out, then afterwards we get together to eventually write a book... well, I write most times, he draws)... every time we play, it's a new chapter.

Quoting gcstar42: My son builds things, plays with them a few days and then destroys them and builds something else. He saves the instruction books so if he wants to build something again he can. He also just makes up a lot of his own things to build. I have never heard of anyone leaving everything they build all put together, lol, so I don't really have any advice on how to deal with that. If it were me I would make him choose a few to keep together and take the rest apart and store them in some type of bin.
gcstar42
by Gold Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:37 AM
Well it sounds like tons of fun! I couldn't deal with it though lol. I guess you could always try mounting shelves on the wall or in his closet or something.

Quoting Anonymous: I might try that after we finish our story... but literally, every time he plays with them, he uses ALL of them. 8 cars, 3 planes, boats, the ninja turtle things, the airport things, fire trucks, ambulances, etc. It's like a never ending story- I think we're on chapter 15. Lol (we act it out, then afterwards we get together to eventually write a book... well, I write most times, he draws)... every time we play, it's a new chapter.

Quoting gcstar42: My son builds things, plays with them a few days and then destroys them and builds something else. He saves the instruction books so if he wants to build something again he can. He also just makes up a lot of his own things to build. I have never heard of anyone leaving everything they build all put together, lol, so I don't really have any advice on how to deal with that. If it were me I would make him choose a few to keep together and take the rest apart and store them in some type of bin.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:37 AM
I tried that. I couldn't really find anything that'll hold all his bigger things.... like his one plane (the biggest) is at least 16 in wide (wing span), not even sure how long from the tip to the tail.

Quoting Anonymous:

http://www.pinterest.com/shelleywirtz/lego-organization-a-sight-to-be-seen/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)