Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Oh my nonsense!

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:28 AM
  • 35 Replies

I'm so tired of hearing about parents that don't have SN kids referring to their kids as neurotypical. I think it's only acceptable when you are talking about parenting tactics with moms of SN kids who ask. NT is not a thing. 

This is a wonderful site for support, but I refuse to believe allllll these kids have add and ADHD and odd while still being neurotypical. 

by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:29 AM
I am a SN mom and the term NT irks even me!
Sparklepants747
by Queen Annie on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:32 AM

I think it bothers me because I have no SN kids, but the moms who say NT say it like their kids are so special. I wish you nothing but extra hugs and happy days! 

Quoting Anonymous: I am a SN mom and the term NT irks even me!

Sparklepants747
by Queen Annie on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:34 AM

BUMP!

TrouserMouse
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:37 AM
Lol, I guess I haven't seen that yet. I mean, I've seen people use NT to avoid saying "normal" when distinguishing between SN and non-SN kids, but never like it is a diagnosis.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:38 AM
Maybe I'm too tired to comprehend, but I'm just going to say 1 SN 2NT.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:40 AM
I thought that was the PC way to say no special needs at this point. lol Of course when it's relevant, maybe op means when context doesn't call for specification?

Quoting TrouserMouse: Lol, I guess I haven't seen that yet. I mean, I've seen people use NT to avoid saying "normal" when distinguishing between SN and non-SN kids, but never like it is a diagnosis.
Sparklepants747
by Queen Annie on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:40 AM

I've seen it twice tonight. I'll have to keep an eye out to link next time. I guess I've never seen a non-SN mom use that term until this week. Am I cranky or would it seem odd to you? I'm trying to be nice. It's just bugged me for a while. I was curious. 

Quoting TrouserMouse: Lol, I guess I haven't seen that yet. I mean, I've seen people use NT to avoid saying "normal" when distinguishing between SN and non-SN kids, but never like it is a diagnosis.

katemckenzie
by Kate on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:44 AM

I hate the phrase neurotypical, because neuro refers to brain functions, meaning any kid that isn't neurotypical is SN. My son is SN AND neurotypical. His special needs aren't mental, they're physical.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:44 AM
May I ask why? if for no reason other than personal aggravation I respect that also. My oldest son has neurological issue d/t prematurity, and brain swelling. My other two have no developmental issues, or special needs so I say NT to clarify, but I honestly prefer not to offend so if you don't mind sharing I prefer to be less offending in my responses.

Quoting Anonymous: I am a SN mom and the term NT irks even me!
TrouserMouse
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:45 AM
I guess it really depends on the context. I can understand moms of non-SN kids trying to be sensitive when a post is asking about diagnoses or disorders to not want to use the word normal because that suggests the SN children are abnormal and that doesn't sound nice.

So, NT has become the pc replacement for "normal".

Quoting Sparklepants747:

I've seen it twice tonight. I'll have to keep an eye out to link next time. I guess I've never seen a non-SN mom use that term until this week. Am I cranky or would it seem odd to you? I'm trying to be nice. It's just bugged me for a while. I was curious. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)