Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

A year ago I was dead *ETA found some pics that I included...nothing gross*

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 12:05 PM
  • 124 Replies
65 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

One year ago I was in the hospital in complete respitory and cardiac failure from a severe thyroid storm. My family and fiance were told that I probably wouldn't make it through the night. A priest was called. I ended up in a coma and a long hard road of recovery but I survived in the end.

What did I take from this experience? Cliche statements like everyday is a gift and live each day as if it were your last take on a whole new meaning. I tell my family I love them each and everyday and never pass up an opportunity to spend time with them. I don't sweat the small stuff as much as I used to.

So I just wanted to tell all of you ladies that are having tough times and feel like it will never get better if you woke up this morning you have received a great gift.

I will never take for granted the simple act of waking up each morning ever again. Each day I have received is a blessing and I don't want to waste one moment of this time we are given.

I can't believe its already been a year! Here's to many more (hopefully :))!!

Eta- I added some pics I came across the other night that my sister took when I was in there. The first one is of me and my sister, the second one is of me and my mom and the third one is me and my fiance after I was finally released from the hospital.
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 12:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Mar. 18, 2014 at 12:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow! That's quite an experience. I had huge clusterfuck of a health crisis last year too. It really did clarify a lot of things for me too.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 18, 2014 at 12:08 PM
1 mom liked this

awesome! Thanks for the reminder! I often see the forest before the trees.

Ali5683
by Ruby Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 12:08 PM
2 moms liked this

Wow, thank you for sharing. Glad to see that you're ok! :)

CMcLaws
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 12:09 PM
Glad you're okay!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
o.O....
by Cara on Mar. 18, 2014 at 12:12 PM
2 moms liked this
I hope this isn't insensitive or a stupid question... But what do you remember from the experience? Did you go for the surgery and just wake up way later than you should have or were you somewhat aware that you were in a coma?
FutureCooper118
by Kylie on Mar. 18, 2014 at 12:12 PM
2 moms liked this

AWW! What a great post!! So glad you are here to share it with us and I'm so glad you were strong enough to pull through! So crazy to think about!! Hope you are doing well!

crysiann
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 12:12 PM
That is so amazing! Thank you for sharing your positive story here. We all need a reminder once in a while that we have so much to be grateful for. Thank you for that reminder today. How is your health today? I pray you continue to grow stronger every day.

We had a reminder of how short life really is this weekend.

My cousins husband had a heart attack this weekend and had a quadruple bi-pass yesterday. He is only 35. It was a reminder to me just how short life is. We are very close to them.
katyusha42
by Metal Kitty on Mar. 18, 2014 at 12:21 PM
My fiance and I were just discussing it last night. The last thing I clearly remember is seeing cats everywhere. Thyroid storms can cause hallucinations. I remember him carrying me to the car and the next thing I remember is waking up in April with a trach tube coming out of my neck and a feeding tube coming out of my nose. I was having hallucinations throughout the ordeal but its hard to piece together when they were occurring because my concept of time was so scewed at that point.

I do remember seeing my step dad clearly at one point and he was yelling at me. He passed away a few years ago. I told my mom what he said and she turned white. She said the things he said to me are the things she told him to tell me if he saw me. That was really weird.

I had a grand mal seizure the day I was released and had to be medivaced to a hospital. I woke up three days later in a strange city. That really messed with my head because I thought I had never left the hospital and was having a really hard time determining what was real and what was the thyroid induced phychosis. Messed with my head for a long time.

Quoting o.O....: I hope this isn't insensitive or a stupid question... But what do you remember from the experience? Did you go for the surgery and just wake up way later than you should have or were you somewhat aware that you were in a coma?
o.O....
by Cara on Mar. 18, 2014 at 12:24 PM
1 mom liked this
That's so crazy. Thank you for sharing and I'm glad that you've recovered.

Quoting katyusha42: My fiance and I were just discussing it last night. The last thing I clearly remember is seeing cats everywhere. Thyroid storms can cause hallucinations. I remember him carrying me to the car and the next thing I remember is waking up in April with a trach tube coming out of my neck and a feeding tube coming out of my nose. I was having hallucinations throughout the ordeal but its hard to piece together when they were occurring because my concept of time was so scewed at that point.

I do remember seeing my step dad clearly at one point and he was yelling at me. He passed away a few years ago. I told my mom what he said and she turned white. She said the things he said to me are the things she told him to tell me if he saw me. That was really weird.

I had a grand mal seizure the day I was released and had to be medivaced to a hospital. I woke up three days later in a strange city. That really messed with my head because I thought I had never left the hospital and was having a really hard time determining what was real and what was the thyroid induced phychosis. Messed with my head for a long time.

Quoting o.O....: I hope this isn't insensitive or a stupid question... But what do you remember from the experience? Did you go for the surgery and just wake up way later than you should have or were you somewhat aware that you were in a coma?
katyusha42
by Metal Kitty on Mar. 18, 2014 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this
I am doing amazingly well today. After this happened I had my thyroid and parathyroid glands completely removed so I'll he on medication for the rest of my life. My memory isn't what it used to be. I see people I used to know but can't remember from where or what their names are. I sustained mild atrophy to my brain stem which puts me more at risk for early onset altztimers as I get older. I was partially blind in my right eye before this happened and ended up losing 100% of my vision in that eye.

I was very lucky. Out of the 54 cases of thyroid storm they treated at this hospital I was the first person to survive the severity of the storm I was in. I was 30 when this occured, I turned 31 shortly after getting out of rehab. I never thought something like this could happen to me.

Quoting crysiann: That is so amazing! Thank you for sharing your positive story here. We all need a reminder once in a while that we have so much to be grateful for. Thank you for that reminder today. How is your health today? I pray you continue to grow stronger every day.

We had a reminder of how short life really is this weekend.

My cousins husband had a heart attack this weekend and had a quadruple bi-pass yesterday. He is only 35. It was a reminder to me just how short life is. We are very close to them.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)