Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

NO BALLS AT SCHOOL EDIT

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
So my daughter's school is banning all balls on their property due to an injury that could leave a child blind. There was already a rule in place that said no throwing a ball past the chest but kids kept breaking that rule and didnt matter how many detentions and suspensions. No sports during gym that require a ball. And saying no soft sponge balls bouncy balls or even hacky sacks which is a little ridiculous.

Thoughts?

eta: its sort of sad the kids being called a snowflake and his injury is being made fun of

ETA2: its fucking stupid that you guys are comparing some kids purposely throwing balls at a kids head to getting a paper cut
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 18, 2014 at 5:38 PM
Replies (31-40):
Pnukey
by Jenn on Mar. 18, 2014 at 6:02 PM

I worked at a school like that before. They were allowed to stand in rows during recess. It sucked for them. Behavior problems were high, and I don't blame the kids. Kids need to have a little fun at recess. This "no balls" rule will not turn out well.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Mar. 18, 2014 at 6:03 PM
2 moms liked this

Trying to raise kids in bubble wrap will only create a generation of special snowflakes. It isn't doing kids any favors.

Pnukey
by Jenn on Mar. 18, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Cotton Balls!  

Quoting Nutrition_Guru: I just laughed imagining my students playing basketball without a ball.
Quoting djg0622: You just teach them to throw the pretend ball. ;). I think it's ridiculous!
Quoting Nutrition_Guru: What the fuck is up with this shit. I'm a PE teacher and I couldn't imagine trying to teach without balls.

PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 6:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Stupid rule, stupid school.  Glad my kid doesn't go to your school.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 18, 2014 at 6:04 PM
After enforcing the no balls above the chest rule didnt work what would you do

Quoting Pnukey:

I worked at a school like that before. They were allowed to stand in rows during recess. It sucked for them. Behavior problems were high, and I don't blame the kids. Kids need to have a little fun at recess. This "no balls" rule will not turn out well.

Pnukey
by Jenn on Mar. 18, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Those kids who broke the rule would have alternate recess, perhaps standing in rows! Punishing the whole school because of a handful of knuckleheads is a bad idea.

Quoting Anonymous: After enforcing the no balls above the chest rule didnt work what would you do
Quoting Pnukey:

acer.acerpori
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 6:07 PM
1 mom liked this
It's sad, anything can cause injury! Why not wrap the kids in bubble wrap.
acer.acerpori
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 6:07 PM
It's sad, anything can cause injury! Why not wrap the kids in bubble wrap.
sheramom4
by Ruby Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 6:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous: Yeah its a good injury. Its not like he was hit lightly. He had glass pushed into his eyes
Quoting Anonymous:

somebody's snowflake got hurt and spoiled everybody's  fun.

I realize that the child was injured but my first thought was what kind of idiot parent sends actual GLASS glasses with an elementary aged child? I am 36 years old and don't own glasses with glass lenses. Nor did I as a child and I have worn glasses since age 3.

so now because a child couldn't follow the rules and is biosphere a bully and because a parent or parents lacked enough sense to purchase their child safe eyewear, kids will lose out on valuable physical skills and have their time being active cut even more. 

If I were you I would be looking at different schooling options. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Mar. 18, 2014 at 6:08 PM
Pussification at it's finest.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)