Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is my child behind?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 37 Replies

My son just turned four yesterday. I just started teaching him to write his letters and make each letters sounds. He is picking up very quickly and is absorbing the information like a sponge. He is big for his age 3 foot 6. When I take him to the park I hear children speaking who seem to be his age and they speak so fluently. My son is speaking in full sentences but I still have to decode what he is saying. My son passed a boy riding on a young toddlers bike and my son said "hey I have that bike" the little boy said "you stay on that side and I will stay on this side" My son said "I've got scary stories, yeah we just got that book" the little boy said " what kind of scary story?" My son said " the scary story, that's what's happening" the little boy responded " what is happening?" 

My son doesn't ask questions like this and doesn't speak so fluently. Should I be worried? Around what age do children speak fluently? Will his language skills advance in the next six months? Obviously this depends on many variables but do children typically advance a lot during year 4-5?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 18, 2014 at 8:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 18, 2014 at 8:45 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 18, 2014 at 8:45 PM

BUMP!

Howardx5
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 8:46 PM
4 moms liked this
Stop.
comparing.
your.
kid.
to.
others.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 18, 2014 at 8:47 PM

He sounds fine. My almost 5 year old still doesnt do letters or write. She stays home with me and I try and try and try to teach her but she wont let ME teach her. She will let other people teach her though. Its frustrating. I dont want her to be behind.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 8:47 PM
He sounds fine.
PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 8:48 PM

His fluency will get better the more you get him to talk with you.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Emerald Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 8:49 PM

All children are different. My kids were speaking clearly and in full sentences at the age of 2, they were holding coherent conversations by 3. The little boy that I nanny is 4 and I can only make out about 60% of what he says and doesn't usually speak in sentences. They had him evaluated and the speech therapist didn't seem concerned. Truthfully though I am a little concerned for him because he doesn't seem to be progressing in his language skills and often shuts down and throws tantrums because he can't communication effectively. 

I would get your son evaluated, better to catch something early then have him struggle later on. 

susan_marie
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 8:49 PM

Children's abilities have such a wide range at this age, I wouldn't worry just yet. The more conversation you have between the both of you, the more it will continue to flow. Maybe try asking more open ended questions in conversation. Is he in school? If so, ask his teacher how she feels about his conversation skills. 

alexsmomaubrys2
by Emerald Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 8:50 PM

Quoting Howardx5: Stop. comparing. your. kid. to. others.

Sometimes comparing is good, it can lead a parent to ask questions and possibly get help early if there is indeed an issue. 

aidyns_mommy
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 8:50 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't know. DS was basically born talking, and we just paid him $5 to be quiet for 10 minutes earlier, lol. Here's a bump.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN