Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

S/O Is a kids room being clean that important???

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I do not understand why so many parents are so obsessed with keeping things spotless. Why would you pick your child up from a party because they did not pick up dolls? I am so glad that my kids do not have to worry about that kind of stuff and can enjoy their childhood. My mom did not do that to me either. We have a chore chart that has money for each chore and they pick the chores they want that day. It is just not that serious people. The dirt will be there tomorrow enjoy your kids!

Edit: My kids do chores it stated above that we have a chore chart. But I would never get my kids from or prevent them from going to a bday party, not be able to go play, not be able to go do fun things with the family because the house was not perfect first. I am fine with after all the fun is had straighten up. Good with me . But I don't prevent them from doing things because of it. My kids put their stuff in their room no food laying around etc. But we don't do chores every night. They don't have to clean their room before bed heck I am happy just to get them in bed.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 18, 2014 at 9:55 PM
Replies (11-20):
tennis4lissa
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:00 PM

i think its way less about the room being spotless as it is about making sure your kids learn responsibility and do as they are told, not think that if they are told to do something they can still get away with not doing it

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:00 PM
Spotless, no. But I don't want to hear about the dog getting this or that because it was thrown on the floor. Also, i do think its important to have the floor picked up every night just in case there is an emergency.
Sbellemommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:00 PM
Kids rooms no. But my 4 year old and 18 month old know how to clean up toys when they're done. I do a lot of it but they help.
RMC007
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:01 PM
3 moms liked this

I don't think making my 6 year old keep her room clean is robbing her of her childhood. I would never pick my dd up from a birthday party for having a messy room, but you better believe she is not going to go outside and play or turn on the TV if her room is a mess. DD has learned to pick up after herself and put things away as she uses them, therefore, it never takes her more than 5 minutes to clean her room. I don't expect her to have a spotless room, but I do expect her to pick up her Barbies before she moves on to a new task.

readyforhim
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it is important to have a clean room, these are boys, nothing worse than a grown adult who doesn't pick up after themselves...

chiefsfan91
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:02 PM
I have a family member that is crazy cleaning. Like..dries the sink and bathtub out. Mops twice a day.
I just like to keep things organized, don't like toys left on the floor if they aren't playing, etc. And I vacuum a lot but I have an awesome vacuum that shows what it picks up lol. I like it.
I make my bed vut don't make the kids do theirs.

Quoting Anonymous: I don't keep everything spotless either. My husband and I both work kids have activities 3 or more days a week the weekends are family time I would rather play with the kids then spend my weekend cleaning .

Quoting Anonymous: Its important. I mean ours aren't spotless... but picked up and tidy. Its important so they learn to keep everything nice and neat to me.
I grew up with a hoarder and it was awful.
Bubsy
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:03 PM
1 mom liked this

It teaches them to be responsible with their things and helps to create good habits for when they grow up. I don't think letting them run wild and live in filth is doing them any favors now or in the future. 

Cymbeline
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:03 PM

I was raised with a spotless room. If I did not keep it clean, my things were thrown in the trash without warning.

I'm not quite as strict, and would not pick up a child from a party to clean. However, my boys are 8 and 12, and they are expected to clean their rooms. They can play, but I don't want to see piles of things on the floor at bedtime.

Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it is more about the disobdience than the clean room. If I tell my children many times over a week to do something and they continue to disobey there will be consequences. By that time, they have had ample time to obey and most likely ample warnings. It isn't about the mess. It is about obeying and respecting the parents who respect you by obeying and doing what you have been asked to do. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:04 PM

For me it's not that big of a deal.  When my husband is home he expects everything spotless.  My problem with the situation you are referring to is if I tell my kid to do something then I expect them to do it.  If I told them at the beginning of the week that it had to be done before they could go somewhere and they didn't do it and went any way there would be a consequence.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN